Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

is my GK 115RBH's speaker blown?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xcental34x, Aug 9, 2004.

1. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Tonight, as my band was preparing to play, I plugged a friends GK 1001RB-II into my 115RBH, set the EQ alittle, turned the volume down, and started playing alittle. After maybe a minute, a loud crackle started to develop. So I thought was my bass' input jack, but when I plugged a friend's Jazz Bass into it, it was still crackling. My guitarist said he was sure its a blown speaker. So I had to use my friends Ampeg 6x10 for the show. The guitarist said it may of been when I plugged the PA into my cabinet the other night to use for vocals and my bass, since the other guitarist broke my head, but I do not see how it would be possible since I had the tweeter turned to biamp and turned completely down. Does anyone have any clue how I can be sure? I played my friend's Bassman 400 through it lightly a minute ago, and it sounded alittle overdriven with the EQ, so I sat it flat and turned it up, just enough for alittle room volume, and I heard one crackle, and them it was fine.

~Patrick

2. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    are you kidding me? not a single person knows how to tell if a speaker is blown. I've lost faith in all humanity.

3. Hi.
    Possibly, inside the cab, there is a fuse that splits cone from horn to allow passsive/biamp-ness. I contacted GK 2 yrs ago and they sent me 4 ((15 amp)) fuses . I was having similar problems. It fixed the problem. The cone and/or tweet can't efficiently handle that kind of spec load without tweeking out that fuse. Take the speaker out and locate the fuse. Hardware store or C.C. should have one. Ohmeter, dmm, etc would diagnose as well.
    Good luck!!!
    Brad

4. Disconnect the head from the cabinet and gently push on the cone with your fingers. If you hear a rubbing or crackling sound, then the voice coil is blown. Let me know how it goes.

5. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Too late. I took it to a repair place yesterday, and its in their hands. I never recieved the warranty card from Guitar Center, so sadly I'm going to have to pay for this one. It is at the local authorized service center, though.

6. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I don't think GC gives warranty cards, I think your receipt is your warranty card. I might be wrong. My 1001rbII 2x10 combo didn't have one either. I called GK with a problem and they told me just send it in!

7. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Did you take a good look at the speaker and notice if there were any creases in the speaker?

8. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    The speaker looked to be in perfect cosmetic condition. If I have to have a replacement put in, anyone, know how much it might cost me?

~Patrick

9. Just use your receipt for the warranty. If it's less than a year old, it's covered.

10. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Do I present that at the service center? Will it take any longer to have it fixed?

11. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Anychance the broken input jack on my 1001RB-II is also under warranty? Its at the same repair place, Midsouth Instrument Service Center, which is the center listed on GK's site. Or would it have to be shipped to the GK factory?

~Patrick

12. The head is covered for two years.

13. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Will I not have to pay for any of these repairs?