Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is My GK loud enough ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fenderaholic, Jun 12, 2005.

1. fenderaholic

fenderaholic

May 25, 2005
    Burbank ca
    i got a GK backline 112 series 2 these are the all black ones two weeks ago. is my amp loud or reliable enough to play a small gig. rock music ac/dc,metallica,hendrix stuff like that with a 4 piece band. i have read a lot of negitive reviews about GK products. i have a 60 day return on this. should i keep it or get a bigger rig. i have not started giging or have a band but im about to. im sure this can get me through playing with a band right ? i have a limit 350-400 what would be a better louder amp.

thanks eric

2. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Well that really depends on the venues you will be gigging and how loud the band plays...

I'm not sure how much the overall price is, but if you could stretch your limit a little more, you could probably get an Avatar + Ashdown 300 combo thingo from Dave.

3. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Yeah, that's definately enough to start an Avatar rig. I know it seems generic to prescrive it to so many people... but the fact of that matter is that you simply need to be heard before you start getting picky with your tone. And frankly, the MAG through an Avatar doesnt sound bad at all.

4. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    It would probably get you through practice if you EQ carefully and your band is quiet. I doubt you could gig with it unless you had full PA support.

5. fenderaholic

fenderaholic

May 25, 2005
    Burbank ca
    well a MAG 300 is about $300 and a 2x10 with forgot what speakers is about $239.99 thats a little to much for me right now. i perfer a combo. the new behringer are coming out with there 300 watt combo. i have read a lot of good things about behringer. i played the bx1200 its sounded like crap but it might have bin becuase of the aluminum cone.

6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    I don't think so...........I can't hear it from here. You ARE playing right now aren't you?

;)

7. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    you've heard bad things about GK, but good things about behringer? what forums are you reading? :smug:

8. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    The ones over at behringer.de?

9. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    As an avid GK user I am here to tell you that if you bought a Backline112 and planned on playing in a full volume rock band (no quiet jazz gigs) either you made a mistake in choosing that amp or a salesman lied to you if they said it would be sufficient.

It is too small for band use UNLESS you are using it specifically as a monitor AND it's 1 to 3 feet from your HEAD.

BTW, GK pro gear stands head, shoulders, knees and toes ABOVE ANY Behringer gear.

If you were under any other impression, I'm sorry to tell you that the GK Backline series is entry level gear. Sounds great but is less filling.

:D

Joe.

10. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    You want a great usable starter rig?

Get THIS head and THIS cab.

(Click on THIS (not this this, that this).)

Only $79 over budget. Save a little longer.

Or as mentioned by others, get an Avatar cab.

Good Luck!

:D

Joe.

11. The Backline 210 would be more appropriate for your needs in my opinion. It does 200 watts by itself or 300 watts with an extension cabinet. You could get the combo now and later add either a 115BLX or a 410BLX and have killer rig. Michael Shenker's bassist uses a pair of 410BLX cabinets.

12. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Whoah...

Astounding.

Where have YOU been reading? GK is one of THE standards in bass amplification from way-back. Behringer is, uhh... you can use the search here at TB...

Joe

13. fenderaholic

fenderaholic

May 25, 2005
    Burbank ca
    well i still have the amp and have another month to make a exchange. i have read a lot of negitive review on harmony central.musicans friend i guess i have bought the wrong amp the salesman was very nice and said the GK kicks the behringers @ss. i also no that the backline series is a beginner line for GK. its just the behringer has way more useable fetuers. and sorry for bringing back an old thread