1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

IS MY GRABBER BROKEN?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by man_at_arms84, Jun 7, 2007.

1. man_at_arms84

man_at_arms84

Jun 3, 2007
    Does this look like my bass is actually broken.
    it's a 70's Gibson Grabber.
    It's been fine, plays fine since I got ti. (around 2 years ago).
    last week a freind seen it and he started putting doubts in my mind by saying looked as thoguh it was "snapped"neck.

What you guys think?
    Sorry the bad pics, only had phone to hand.

Image0111.jpg
    Image0121.jpg
    Image0131.jpg
    Image0141.jpg

2. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    If it plays fine, who cares!

3. man_at_arms84

man_at_arms84

Jun 3, 2007
    jsut had some real bad luck with gear in the pastfew weeks. I going on tour for two weeks tommrow and just have visions of the head stock coming off or something at a show.
    I can fell it slightly lip, the curve that is onthe back of the neck.
    lke it's been stuck on. But like I say it plays fine, and I've dropped about 4 times and not only has it never knackered but never goes out of tune.

Am I just getting pre tour paranoia?

4. Matt_W

Matt_W

May 3, 2007
    Leeds, UK
    I assume you are talking about the the semi-circular transverse lines (as you said snapped), if so you friend is an idiot; that is just where the neck joins to the headstock

Seriously getting a clean break like that would be pretty damned hard, especially without it fulling snapping off.

If you meant the line running longitudinally towards the join, on the headstock side, it is hard to tell without a better photo, although it looks more like a scratch.

5. man_at_arms84

man_at_arms84

Jun 3, 2007
    yeah i thoguht that was the case.
    The crack looks like its just a small insignifant crack. not even crack. really
    I think I just worried as the tranverse lines stick out a little more than I have seen on other basses.
    I will proceed to punch my freind in the head.
    thanks.

6. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
  7. bassman10096

bassman10096 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    MKE
    That's right. It's a manufacturing technique - not a problem. A lot of bass makers use scarf joints (including Alembic). The scarf joint is there to do two things: (1) It enables the manufacturer to make the headstock and neck from separate pieces of wood, saving money, because longer stock costs more, and (2) It benefits you because if the headstock ever does break, there's a clean place to remove and reattach or replace it.

Headstock breaks are pretty common and often not hard to fix. One interesting factoid I heard is that every single Stradivarious violin has experienced a headstock break or repair during its life. Doesn't seem to reduce their value any...

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 25, 2021