Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is my guitar amp MEANT to sound better than my bass amp!?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Techmonkey, Aug 6, 2005.

1. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    Well I've been thinking about improving my bass tone... I have no effects 'cept an old Zoom ultrafuzz which I only use for playing Muse when I'm messing about...

I'm learning a lost prohets song Shinobi vs. Dragon Ninja in my metallish band, and in the pre-chorus (I think) the bassist uses a weird phase-type wah effect that I think sounds awesome, but I don't have a clue how to get it... I decided to check out the flanger on my brothers Marshall AVT-100 just to see what it was like... And even though the effect was really weak on bass, through the clean channel I had such a clean warm tone slapping and playing fingerstyle, then with the mids boosted and then presence up I had an amazing plectrum sound... With the chorus on I had an amazing 80's slap sound, and with the OD-1 on and the gain down low there was a perfect grittyness to the bass tone... However, when I plugged my bass back in to my bass amp, for some reason thinking it was my bass that had decided to sound so nice, sure enough I had a brittle weak sound.

Btw, my current amp is a Fender Rumble 60, my current basses are a defretted Westfield SB427, and a Traben Phoenix 4, though I'm building a 5 string with wenge neck, bubinga body (Growly for metal) and hopefully in November getting a Warwick Corvette 4 as my funk bass.

Is this me experiencing the valve sound for the first time, or do I just really need some effects, EQ, compression, and a new amp?

2. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    If I was you, Id go try your bass through a some good bass amps, both SS and tube, that way you would know for sure. :)

3. I don't think you can say that all guitar amps sound better than all bass amps. It certainly is possible that a better quality guitar amp would sound better than a lower quality or quieter bass amp.

Time to go shopping! :hyper:

4. Problem with guitar amps is thier speakers tend to go if your playing bass

Has never happened to me but ive only played bass into a 15 watt guitar amp (twas before i got a bass amp), but at loud levels the speakers would be pushed out further than they are meant to go

5. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    Ah, I thought it might be time for an amp upgrade. I've been trying to sell my Fender amp for £150 which'd be enough just about to get me a used Ashdown Mag 250 (The British one)... I could play through my brothers old PA speaker for now until I can afford a bass cab... We won't be gigging seriously until Christmas at least, so there'll be a bass amp at all the venues.

Anyone have anything to say about the Ashdown amp? I'd like to go to GC and check one out... But they charge so much, I don't think I'd buy it from there.

6. Warwick player

Warwick player

Dec 31, 2002
    Bucks, UK
    Think about trying one out and then consider buying online. I wouldn't advise going straight to buying online as you could end up with a Pup.

Ashdown as far as I am concerned are a good brand, it just the fact that the shop i went to didn't have any in when i went there and instead i tried out a Marshall which i used at a rehearsal studio and fell in love with it!

7. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    Wow, never thought about a Marshall... Their Bass-state range looks good, and I'm familiar with the company - I've never played a better guitar amp ('cept maybe a Mesa-Boogie Dual Rectifier... Luuuush) so I'll check out the local music shops, and see if they've got anything good going second hand!

8. If you can find one, the old dynamic-bass marshall amps were great, i have one at my practice room, they are just sweet as !

9. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    Cool, I'll try and check them out thanks!

10. Warwick player

Warwick player

Dec 31, 2002
    Bucks, UK
    The B150 to me is the best amp i've played.

But beware they are a tank to move around, also if you're interested in the bigger range check out the VBA 400 with a 4x12 (?) and the 8x10.

11. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    It's the tube power section, bro. Fortunately there are some good bass-oriented remedies for that...