Is my guitar tech wrong?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by needmoney, Sep 24, 2005.

1. So I took my Jazz bass to my local tech today to see what the issue was with my bass. Here's the problem and it's probably been said a thousand times before but anyway..

I had some Model J's installed in my bass a while ago, and everything was fine, nice and quiet, until I took my hand off the strings - buzz (I know you've all heard this before), but the problem only occurs with the bridge pickup . With the neck pickup soloed, even when I take my hand off the strings there's no buzz, but as soon as I roll in the bridge pickup and take my hands off, there's the buzz.

So yeah I took it to my tech, and he said that there's no way around this because I'm acting as the earth when I touch the strings or any metal part, and shielding won't make much of a difference.

So is all this true or is there actually a problem to be fixed here?

Thanks in advance!
  2. protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Definately not correct. My passive Aerodyne has a terrible time with this same thing, yet my active bass is whisper quiet on the same amp.

It could be the shielding around the pickup cavity or in the controls cavity. Add shielding and see what happens.
  3. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Your tech is wrong. Check the pickups FAQ for shielding instructions.
  4. Damn I knew it.. So what exactly is the problem here?

I'm gonna take it to another local guy and this time I want to be able to tell him what the problem is and what I want done to fix it, instead of him telling me nothing can be done.
  5. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass What key is this?

May 26, 2005
    Fife, WA
    completely incorrect - if that was the case, when he solo's the neck p/u, he would get hum - but he's not. I would have the 'new' guy look at the ground connection on the bridge p/u; maybe it isn't connected, or it has a cold solder joint on the potentiometer....
  6. That's exactly what I thought.
  7. Kitsapbass

May 26, 2005
    Fife, WA
    did he install the pickups?
  8. tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    sounds like a grounding issue to me. I would run, dont walk, to a new repair tech.
  9. Kitsapbass

May 26, 2005
    Fife, WA
    my guess is that either he installed a defective/broken pickup (with a bad ground) or he needs to recheck all his solder joints (maybe he overheated a pot...)
  10. Update:

I took it to the new tech and tried to show him the problem, but there was no noise whatsoever when I played it (through the same amp) at his house. Does this mean it's just the circuit in my house?
  11. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    DO you have "grounds" on you plug ins?

I think it is a bad solder joint.
  12. Well the guy checked all the joints on my bass and he said everything was fine, and there's no "grounds" on my plugs. Just an on/off switch.
  13. Kitsapbass

May 26, 2005
    Fife, WA
    I don't think that it is a problem with the jack - I believe it is more serious than that. The first indicator is that when you solo the one pickup the problem is there; but it isn't when you solo the other one. Why?

Unless the other pickup is a humbucker/hum cancelling single coil, there would be an equal amount of hum whether you would solo either pickup, not just one.

Personally I would check the leads coming off the pickup and have your tech check each item coming off that signal path.
  14. The problem also occurs when the Series button is pushed in, exact same noise.

I know that with 4 conductor wiring the black and white wires have to be soldered together and taped off to run in series, but where are the red and green ones supposed to go?