Is my head big enough to power this cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, May 25, 2005.

1. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I have a Behringer 3000T (I know, I know. Chinese. Go ahead and boo). 300 watts into 4 ohms and probably 150 watts into 8 ohms. I don't have a cab for it yet and I have an opportunity to get a great deal on an Avatar B410 Pro 8 ohm cab.

Here's the cab info: Avatar B410 Pro

Is my amp going to power this cab suitably or should I get a smaller cab? I know that the amp could suitably power a 410, but will it suitably power this cab?

2. markfsy

May 14, 2005
    Suffolk, England
    Dave from Avatar says that his cabs are efficient enough to be loud with a couple of hundred watts, so you shouild be fine. And don't listen to any of this nonsense about "underpowering" cabs - you can't damage anything unless you turn your amp up into serious clipping, and not many people will be able to listen to that.
  3. Go for it, It will work.....good luck
  4. Yep. That will work just fine.
  5. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    You're probably closer to 200 Watts into 8 ohms, which should get pretty loud through this cab... If you get close to clipping, adding another cab will get you some volume, (it's more about surface area that watts at this stage)...

While markfsy's absolutely right, please be aware that you can damage a cab by pushing an underpowered head too hard... Take it straight from an idiot who has done it, (not once, but twice! I guess that makes me a bonehead extrordinaire!)... And I did it exactly the way he warns against, cranking the piss out of a 150 watt solid-state head and getting that bitchin' square-wave distortion! Ahhh... blissful youth! Just knowing it can happen is half the battle...

I am currently running an Ashdown MAG300, (very similar to the Behringer :D ), and have played through a similar Behringer head into an 8 ohm cab... Nice sounding and plenty loud for my application...

6. yeah, there definitely won't be any problem with that.
  7. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Robert -

Thanks for the information! I'm stuck because I have this 300w cab (I know, I know, a complete bite off of Ashdown) which is much more powerful than the Peavey Basic 112 (50w) I used to have, but is still seems to be on the small side as bass heads go. Maybe it isn't?

Here's the dilemma I'm having. I had my heart set on the Avatar B212 because of a limit of funds (so I couldn't go for a 410 or 112/210 combo) and I had heard that it was a great stand-alone cab. It's $279 + $42 shipping = $321 total - not bad! I found a guy who is selling an Avatar B410 Pro for almost the same price: $275 + about $60 shipping = $335.

The Eminence Kappa Pro 10's have the same wattage and frequency range (45Hz - 3kHz) as the Eminence Delta 12LF's so with the B410 Pro I'll have the same range with more punch and more speaker area. The only problem I am having is that it weighs in at 95lbs! The 212 is only 75lbs.

I'm being dumb - I'm being offered a gift here! This is the top of the line Avatar with more wattage than any other 410 I can find. Thanks for the help fellas (and ladies, if any responded).