Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

is my iAmp upside down?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jammadave, Oct 21, 2004.

1. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    hey guys - odd question:

I just got an older, whiteface iAmp500 (yeah, I didn't know they existed either) from our bud BassDmb18. Sounds pretty damn good, although I'll be tweaking the EQ for days =0)

I had an issue with the casing rattling on every note at first, so then I tightened down the screws holding the top plate on - fixed the problem but when I looked at the bottom to ponder adding "feet", I came upon this...

The iAmp is white on its face and sides... then I noticed that the TOP of the head is black sheetmetal and is screwed on. It also has 4 little hemispherical "nubs" on it, kind of like protective feet you use when putting something on a tabletop.
    That's all well and good, until I see the BOTTOM of the head is also *white*, is not screwed on (but is folded metal formed with the rest of the box), and has air vents like the sides! Aside from one bolt head, it's also free of protrusions, etc.

Is my head somehow in its case upside down?

2. Nightbass

Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Some pics would be helpful, but here's my take. Ashdown made the first iAmps, and Ashdown ABM's all have inverted chassis where the front, top, and back are made of one piece of metal. This is bolted into the wood box from the *top*. Your iAmp probably has the same inverted chassis to start with.

The nubs certainly do sound like that's the bottom, and the vented bottom certainly does sound like the top, but then again, top vents are usually avoided because you can spill things into them. So bottom vents would not surprise me.

How big is that bolt on the bottom? Is it a machine bolt about 1/2"? If so, that holds down the toroidal transformer, and that would be the bottom of the chassis.

3. I know nothing of the iAmps, but could it be the amp is from a combo, mounted from the top, and exposed at the bottom and rear?

4. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Good points NB, You may have hit the nail on the head. I sent a query to EA just to be sure, but that sounds like the best explanation.

5. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

The iAmp 350 has a bottom vent as well, so I expect you'll find that your amp is "normal". You'll definitely want feet on there if you're using it free standing.