Is my intonation OK or should I adjust?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Crube, Mar 25, 2005.

1. Crube

Mar 19, 2005
    I restrung my Washburn XB100 Bantam Series bass last night and after some tweaking with the saddles I have got the action perfect to my taste. Upon checking the 12th frets on each string though with my electronic tuner, they are all ever so slightly sharp. The most any of them is sharp is 2 of the little dots, which is equivalent to 4hz. I don't play much stuff above the 12th fret anyway, so should I just leave it be or should I try and get the intonation EXACTLY right? Many thanks in advance for any help. :) :bassist:
  2. Crube

Mar 19, 2005
    But my thinking is, the slight sharpness is pretty much never gonna be noticable so why waste the time and effort on it? On the other hand I AM prepared to spend time and effort on it if the general consensus is that it should be bang on, i.e. perfectly in tune at the 12th fret. Just trying to gauge some opinions here. :)
  3. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Go ahead and do it...

you may not play above the 12th, but you might start noticing it if you play in the 5-11 range...

Better to have it all spot on, than have it 100% at open,then varying degrees of out of tune through the rest of the neck.
  4. Crube

Mar 19, 2005
    Is it possible to have EVERY fret 100% in tune? It seems this will take a LOT of trial and error to get to that point. Just wondering what you guys think. Thanks for your input so far. :)
  5. Crube

Mar 19, 2005
    Anyone else have any opinions? :)
  6. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    100% in tune on every fret is not possible, but properly intonating your instrument is a good idea if you don't want to mess up your ear and if you don't want your band mates to whack you upside the head.
  7. Trust me, get it done. You won't believe your ears.
  8. Crube

Mar 19, 2005
    OK, gonna go ahead and give it a go today. :)