1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is my iPod officially dead?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Peter Squire, Oct 29, 2006.

1. hey guys

Major problems with my 20G iPod. It's one of the 2nd generation ones, with the click wheel but not colour screen/video capability.

I just use it for music, but now it looks like its dead. I get the folder with the exclamation mark (!) after startup and the Apple icon. Then it does nothing.

I can hear a whirring and clicking noise coming from inside. I have tried to charge it by both a high speed USB port and the mains cable, but it still doesn't work. i have run diagnostics through both iTunes and the PC and both say that the PC cannot detect the iPod when plugged in to the USB.

I have been to the iPod troubleshoot pages on the internet and have tried to reset and restore, I have downloaded the newest iTunes and iPod updater, I have done everything on the troubleshoot pages - to no avail.

I'm thinking my iPod is dead. What do you guys think?

2. Sorry to say, but I had very similar symptoms on my first iPod, when it was unplugged without being ejected. It wasnt able to be fixed, but since it was within 6 months (I think it was that long) I sent it in and they sent me a brand new one.

Short version: Im pretty sure if that didnt work, youre gonna need a new one. Sorry :(

Hopefully I can be proven wrong, though.

3. Man.. this must be a bad week. I've had my Creative Zen Micro for almost a year, no problems at all, and I took very good care of it.

Then this past tuesday I had dropped it (pretty minorly too.. I'd done it worse than that before) and it worked fine for a few minutes, music was still playing, and then it froze.

Now in order to start it up I have to take the battery out and put it back in, it then starts up automatically and gets stuck on the Creative logo. I am told this is hard drive failure and now since the warranty doesnt cover this I have to send it back to get repaired and pay a fee or just forget about it.

Major bummer.

I suggest emailing the company first though, seeing if it can be repaired or anything.

4. I checked the website for repair details, and it looks like it will cost me almost as much as a new one to get this old one repaired. :(

guess that's the way of the world nowadays - disposable living....

5. Try to find a local Ipod sales/repair center. The one in Orlando has fixed mine once and replaced my daughters at no charge.

6. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    I'm thinking maybe your battery is dead. Even the rechargables wear out after so many recharges. The batteries in the 1st - 3rd generation were defective - they didn't hold a charge for as long as advertised (6hrs then) and died quickly. Go to iLounge for suggestions and info on how to get your battery (or iPod) replaced. Costs about $85 incl S&H I believe. I need to do this as well. My 3rd gen only holds a 45 min charge now.

7. Have you ran a disk check? It's a combo of buttons, done like restore is, but you do it and let it sit there and scan itself and try to fix what it can. Otherwise...you may be screwed. I went through 3 Ipods in 3 years, and I took good care of them. Luckily I only had to pay for 1! I love stores that make good on their warrantees time and time again...

8. morf

morf Inactive

Feb 17, 2006
    If you've done everything you could and your warranty is over, try opening it up. Get a small flat screwdriver, slide it between the top white part and the bottom shiny silver part and use it as a lever to pop up the top face. once the top is off, open it up like a book and check that the hard drive connection, unplug it and replug it, lift up the hard drive and press on the battery underneath it, then put it back together and try again.

Thing is, iPods dont break easily but something often gets loose and you just have to tinker with it a bit for it to work again, happens to me all the time.