Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is my jazz bass broken?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BillyBishop, Oct 19, 2001.

1. BillyBishop

BillyBishop

Feb 7, 2001
    Canada
    I just got my new fender mim jazz bass. I love it. BUT the first volume nob does NOTHING (by the first I mean the highest) If i turn the second nob off and the first one all the way up, I would expect the middle pickup to be used..(you know what I mean) Basically, I doesnt do shiznat.

Sorry If this is a dumb question.

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    That that bizotch back to the dizealer and have him look at it. If it's nizew, it should still be under Warantizee. If it's used, there is probably a bad connection in the wiziring. Well, there's bizad wiring either way, but if it's uzed you'll have to cough up for the repair.

3. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    sounds like the potentiometer is bad. If its a new bass it'll be covered under warranty, if its used, then youll have to shell out about $5 for a new pot, providing you do the soldering job yourself, its easy enough to do.

4. BillyBishop

BillyBishop

Feb 7, 2001
    Canada
  5. BillyBishop

BillyBishop

Feb 7, 2001
    Canada
    like 20 minutes ago new

6. BillyBishop

BillyBishop

Feb 7, 2001
    Canada
    But basically, yeah that sucks ass, cuz i love this bass. I didn't even notice it when I tried it in the store. I tried like every bass they had and I had to get the broken one. Farg.

7. It must be under warrantee. Just go ask the store guys to fix it up.

8. But remember to ask nicely.

9. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida

then your still under Fenders Original Manufacturers Warranty, just bring her back to where you bought her or any authorisied Fender service dept, and theyll set it straight.

10. Actually if its 20 minutes new, its still probobly under the store's return policy.... most stores have at least a 2 week return (the ones I've seen have been 30 day)...so you might see about returning it

11. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    not to sound like a pedant here (did i use that right...lol)

but it doesnt matter if its past the stores return policy, They have to honor Fenders manufactuers warranty. Providing they are an authorized Fender service dept. The store however does not have to replace the bass. All they have to do is make sure it gets fixed. But as always theres probably some loophole there somehow. When I worked in retail music, we would never replace something, only honor the manufactuers warranty. Most music stores I know of are like that.

12. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    actually a lot of stores don'twork like that anymore. Depending on the store, he could either get it repaired or swap it. If I liked that particular bass, I'd just get it fixed.

13. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida

i wish the ones in my area were like that.

I agree if i liked the bass id just have it fixed.

14. BillyBishop

BillyBishop

Feb 7, 2001
    Canada
    It just started working normally five minutes ago. =\ how wierd is that? I mean, like, whoa.

15. BillyBishop

BillyBishop

Feb 7, 2001
    Canada
    That first pickup sure sounds alot like a p style pickup when used on its own (I think so anyways)

PS This is really wierd.