1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

is my keyboardist normal??

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by b to g is yummy, Mar 15, 2008.

1. My band did some amateur recordings ourselves. When it came time to lay down the keys...well...he made lots and lots of layers...lots of pads and stuff. I don't seem to hear so many key tracks on pro recordings? It was quite a pain to mix. Is it 'normal' to have about 4 key layers at a time or is he just a little overboard???

2. he is normal because we see as keyboardists like weird techno geeks who love knobs and to turn them.........but anyway if your song doesnt need thats many layers then raise your point discuss it with the band

3. GregBass1979

GregBass1979

Feb 26, 2008
    Placentia,Ca
    I thought you were going to say he kept using his transpose button to keep each song in the key of C ...that would mean he was normal.:rollno:

4. haha...speaking of which, he can only play in the key of G, and G# a bit i think...!! so yup...he transposed every song thats not in G i think.... kinda annoying...

not sure what'll happen if we ever wanna do an acoustic set with a real piano!
    oh well...he's a wiz and we love him :)

5. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Check out what Phil Spector was doing back in the early 60's. Is it normal.... well, maybe not musically. Should one expect such behavior from keyboardists....... yep.

6. Phe

Phe

May 30, 2005
    Oulu, Finland
    I guess he is normal. Our keybardist will probably do the same thing. By the way, what is wrong with playing simple chords? Do they always have to invent their own chords they can't play in time? Or is it just my keyboardist? I should try to explain the concept of groove to him someday.

7. Wm. E. Evans

Wm. E. Evans

Jul 19, 2007
    Southeast PA
    I played a fill-in pop/lounge gig using charts once where the keyboardist brought along a tenor player. He kept using the keyboard to transpose everything down a step so the tenor player didn't have to transpose, while I had to sight transpose.:meh:

Thank goodness I have a 6-string and almost always play closed strings...

Worst was when he forgot to change back when the tenor player sat out...:confused:

Also, said keyboardist played a piano patch with a synth pad on it for everything; I had to remind him he was playing with a bassist and to turn the pad off on the low notes...

OK, now back to your regularly scheduled thread....