Is my Knowledge right??....

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ZenBass, May 18, 2004.

1. Putting together a new bass from the Custom world is very exciting but still does involve a bit of thinking...please tell me if I am right with these pickups..

I am wanting pickups that offer that hi-fi elements but with tradional vibes being avalible when tweaker..kinda like a Wawick but not that same sort of growl...

I have narrowed it down to two or three different pickups...and from my knowledge am I right in thinking this..

EMG TW's : - a CS and J combined into one giving a hi-fi sound with great defintion on al strings but allows for a big bottom end and growly mids with crisp trebs since it contain a full dual coil the CS part is quite warm sounding for an EMG and is different to a DC as it doesnt have a hump in the Mid section...

Seymour Duncan ASB or ASB2, active soapbars but very
    warm sounding, used on some Warwicks. big low end and crsip treb but a slight compressed mid section giving a growly aspect but not in your face attack MEC's

Very transparent sounding.... and natural sounding but very expensive..all passive but dont marry to well with active cirucits......

For the sound I am going for I tihnk the EMG's will give great results and these top line EMGs are better than the Barts of this world for getting a agressive tone....and bite..

Am I right or have it got it all wrong :p.....

Also does the choice of woods have an overall effect on the pickup choice?... are ther do's nd don'ts within combinations..
  2. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I like EMG's for a bit more growl and bite, but not quite as agressive as MEC's in a warwick. I think they will do well for you.
  3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    EMG's and SD's are good pickups but I don't think you're going to get vintage tones from the ones you describe as they're active.

Growl/bite is in the wood/your playing/etc, pickups are an important part but not the only part. If you want modern and vintage sounds, the best compromise you'll get is with passive pickups, active preamp and passive tone control.

Also, where did you hear Aero's don't mate well with passive circuits? I've never heard this before.