1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is My Logic Wrong?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Texan, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Texan

Texan 667 Neighbor of the Beast. Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Houston, TX
    So I have 3 killer basses, USA Ibanez ATK, Carvin LB70p, and a Warwick Streamer. Between these 3, I have all of my potential tonal needs covered. However, I have only one bass head, the Genz Shuttlemax 9.2. I am gassing for another bass, but something in the back of my mind keeps telling me to buy a back-up head. Should I listen to that little something and buy a back-up or follow my impulse to get another bass? :bag:

Not sure what to do...

2. I have always believed that the amplifier contributes to 'tone' AT LEAST as much as the instrument. Much moreso in many cases. So if your goal is to be as tonally versatile as possible, collecting amps is the way to go.

Of course, almost nobody brings multiple amps to a gig since it's such a PITA.

But man, getting more gear is fun, ain't it?

3. Texan

Aug 15, 2004
    Houston, TX
    I'm not worried about covering my tonal bases, I'm good there. I always have paranoia of my gear crapping out at a gig, its never happened thank god, but I always fear it. I always bring at least 2 basses to every gig, been considering a genz shuttle for the backup, bit there are a few Laklands that I would like to have...

4. DBCrocky

DBCrocky

Oct 18, 2011
    Cary, NC
    I got an Ampeg PF500 to use as a backup head. It's small and light and easy, I just throw it in a bag with all my cables n stuff. Got it used so it was cheap too. I figured I could also take it to jams or practices with just a 2x10 for a light and easy rig.

5. bass12

bass12 And Grace, too

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    I was expecting a question about actual logic. It's always good to have a backup head. On the other hand, I find amps really boring and much prefer the idea of having another bass! :)

6. funkingroovin

funkingroovin Conquering A-D-D,and all the other notes as well!

Apr 19, 2009
    Hawaii
    Definitely get yourself set up with a backup head!!! They don't crap out often,but if yours does,you'll find your killer basses to be killer wall-art! Speaking from experience...

7. Yep, cheap backup head or then DI box into PA.

8. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    I wasn't aware that Ibanez ever built any ATK basses in the United States.

EDIT: Hmmm....it seems they did at one time. I guess even us old guys can still learn things!

9. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    + 1

The backup amp idea plus this are two things I would strongly consider. Tube amps aside, there are lots of preamp pedals you can use to get various tones out of your SS amps. Backup amps are just a smart idea, but consider something that's a bit different or can contribute something different than just the exact same head. The PF-500 suggestions is great, but I use the Carvin BX500 myself (it's pretty inexpensive and powerful). Check em out, there are tons of great ultralight amps out there now.

10. Texan

Aug 15, 2004
    Houston, TX
    They are rare, but they do exist...

11. Trade that American rubbish on a genuine Japanese Ibanez :)

Couldn't resist!

Go the head.

12. Awesome Sauce

Awesome Sauce Already tired tomorrow

Dec 21, 2011
    NW Chicago 'burbs
    Here's the thing: you PLAY your instrument- your hands are all over it; constantly. But your amp just sits there once you turn it on and tweak the knobs. It's the old 'out of sight out of mind' thing. It's just as important to our sound, but it rarely crosses our minds to buy a backup. If you gig a lot and depend on your equipment, the wise choice is the amp. However, if you noodle in your man cave and only jam w/ your buddies then the point is moot. :)