1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is my LS-2 dead?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Discount Saint, Sep 21, 2008.

1. Discount Saint

Discount Saint Bassist for the music in my head Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    So frickin annoying...

I've been using a particular pedal board setup for awhile now without any problems -> I've got a powered board with a Boss LS-2 - Loop 1 just has an Ibanez PD-7 and the other has an SB-7 and a Blowtorch (with a separate 18V power supply). I recently added a BBE Opto-Stomp before the LS-2 and yesterday was my first time using it. So I plugged everything in (all the pedals were already connected just as they always were, with the exception of the Opto-Stomp which was new) .. suddenly I am getting NO signal out of the LS-2 at all.

I checked my 2 main patch cables (in from my bass and out to my amp) and they were both fine, and I disconnected all of my pedals from the LS-2 so it was just in and then out, and nothing. The pedal lights up fine, switches correctly when I press the pedal, but just puts out no sound. I'm going to do a little more testing, but I just don't know what would have happened to it. It was working just fine a few days ago and nothing significant has happened to it. Could it be a power supply issue? The board has a 500mA supply so I guess I could swap that out with my Power-All and see if it fixes the issue... but dang.

Any thoughts?

2. So if you just go bass > LS-2 > amplifier you have troubles, is that right?

I doubt it's a power supply issue - did you use the power supply in the testing you did? Did you disconnect IT from the other pedals as well?

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Did you try it with a battery?

4. Discount Saint

Jan 26, 2007
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    Yeah I basically removed everything from both the power supply and the pedal itself and went directly Bass > LS-2 > Amp .. and nothing. Just now I tried a different power supply directly into the LS-2 and still nothing. Haven't tried with a battery though - is it likely to make a difference.. and if so, what does that mean? It still powers up with the power supply just fine..

I bought it less than a year ago.. can't exactly remember when.. I hope there is still a warranty on it...

5. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    If it works on a battery, then there is probably some issue with the DC power jack, or with the cable connecting to the powered board, or with the particular outlet on the powered board, etc.

6. Discount Saint

Jan 26, 2007
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    would you think that is likely even though it still powers up normally? I would expect a power issue like that would cause the whole pedal to be dead, instead of just silent...

7. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    True in general, but sometimes an LED can still light up while the rest of the circuit is not getting enough power.

8. Discount Saint

Jan 26, 2007
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    Hmm.. I'll have to try that out.. but I think first I'm taking it back to Long & McQuade and hopefully they'll swap it for a new one or something.. anyone know if LS-2's are prone to these sorts of issues?

9. Ah, in that case, take it back. Most things come with 12 months manufacturers warranty, but even it they don't most countries have a "statutory warranty" which ensures that products are fit for purpose and have some minimum life expectancy.