Is my neck warped?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by i like tictacs, Jun 24, 2004.

1. I have a Corvette, and everything is in tune up until the 13th fret. 12th fret harmonics are perfect, but once you get up to the 14-24 fret area everything goes slightly sharp. Warped neck? I hope not cause I'll be pissed. A 1000 dollar bass shouldn't have issues like this, at least i'd hope not.
  2. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Get it set up. I don't know if it's a WARPED neck, but weather causes wooden necks to move a bit, which you may call warping. It's normal.
  3. Your intonation is probably not as good as you think. Sounds like it's a bit off every fret up the board... it's just not noticeable until the higher frets.

I agree with tplyons, get it set up by a pro (with a strobe tuner). I'm sure you're gonna love it.
  4. I have a strobe tuner, I've never done an in-depth setup though. Should I bother or let a pro do it?
  5. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Let a pro do it. Make minor tweaks yourself until you feel comfortable with yourself doing it.
  6. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I've had a bass neck warp... an 80's Ibanez Destroyer model...
    The neck warp really didn't affect the sound, per se... However, the action at the 12th fret, was really low, but around the 5th fret, it was about 3/4's of an inch... Basically, a significant bow affecting the over all playability fo the instrument.
  7. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    strobe tuner??????? whats this???????
    Im an ignorant bassist
  8. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    peterson strobe tuner. Look it up, its very hard to explain. It uses like X/Y cordinates to tune your instrument. Supposed to be the most accurate way to tune.
  9. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    It does sound like you need a setup for sure. The warping of the neck is normal, and a good setup will cure that. The warping you have to worry about is twisting! If it's twisted, you're $%&#ed. But, Warwick makes a really solid bass and this most likely will never happen to your Corvette. Your intonation is most likely not on. Intonantion means, for the newbies, production of a note. In other words how precisely in pitch is the note being played. Manipulating the saddles back and forth with a strobe tuner is the best way to set this. A setup should only run you $25-50 until you learn to do it yourself. It's easy, but you can still screw up your bass neck if you mjaorly screw up.
  10. Before shelling out money for a set-up, try setting the intonation both at the 12th and 19th frets and split the difference if you can't get it spot on at both places. You may be surprised at how good it will sound when you're done.
  11. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Jeez, how much did you get that for? I saw a strobe tuner on a site, but I think the price was in the $200-300 range.

Definitely get a setup. Intonation isn't difficult, just make sure you're there when he does it so you can see, and later imitate.
  12. I just set it up myself, intonation, etc. I just took my time and it came out fine. Now everything is +/-2 cents past the 12th fret, which is good enough for me and my first setup. I'll probably end up tweaking it even more after to get it perfect. Thanks everyone
  13. bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    I had a 5 string fortress at one time that had a twisted neck. Felt like crap to play. Lower strings too high, high strings had buzz. Terrible. Get a'll never have this problem!

Only peterson strobe tuners respond at the speed of light to display relative tuning of any audio source to 0.1 of a cent (1/1000 of a semitone) accuracy. With the new AutoStrobe models such as the Model 490, students, technicians, and musicians at all levels can utilize automatic (hands-free) note selection for fast, accurate tuning of instruments. This feature also permits real-time display of intonation to improve performance and listening skills while playing.

15. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL