1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is my nut chocking me?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Microbass, Nov 28, 2018.

1. hoping soneone can advise me if this is a thing or not...
    when I got this bass the nut wasn’t seated right and I just dealt with it for years. There’s a small ski jump around the 12-14th frets which means I’ll never get the right action but it’s still very playable.

I had a tech reseat the nut and crown the frets and it played better than ever but I felt the E sounded a bit dead. Put that down the strings needing changed. Swapped from NYXL’s to Dunlop super bright nickels. That sorted the “chocking” feeling I have on the E strong for a short while. Swapped back to NYXL’s and the E just feels dead. I’ve tried a tapered E and get that same feeling. It’s not as noticeable played through an amp but the E is not as punchy or bright as the rest of the bass and in contrast has a thin thumpyness to it. Acoustically it’s as if the string just doesn’t want to make any sound. The chocking feel/sound is consistent across the whole of the string so I guess it’s perhaps not the nut but it doesn’t seem to be seated completely flat on the headstock?

Witness points set and plenty of wraps around the peg, I’m 99.99% certain this is not a string installation issue nor a dead string as I’ve used 2 different brands as well as 4 different models. Gauge is a 105. Any ideas?
    E95EAF28-F7F8-4C74-B135-ED877D31A2DC. 0FC83C27-D29C-4A44-9C0C-B7B33F398DA6. 5ED9B184-ADE4-4783-A8C4-6AA0478F3480.

2. It looks like the E string isn’t sitting in the nut slot. May need to be filed a bit. Also, what kind of clearance does it have at the first few frets?

3. The clearance is quite high at the first few frets. The string is marginally higher than my Grabber (same nut & strings) sitting in the nut.

4. Is the string sitting in the slot fully? Hard to tell from the photo.

5. Yup. Everything is as you would expect it. The E just has no flare compared to the others. The nut doesn’t look particularly well seated, so I’m wondering if that’s the cause of my pain.

6. RSBBass

RSBBass

Jun 11, 2011
    NYC
    It is hard to tell from the photos but the nut doesn't look that good. How does the string play on fretted notes? If they are ok it is probably the nut. If not you have another problem, though the nut may still be an issue.

7. Abner

Abner

Jan 2, 2011
    Mississauga
    You say the witness points are set, but I still see that E-string soaring over the nut in the third pic. There is definitely some curvature to the string on the fretboard side of the nut.

96tbird likes this.
  8. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Bingo. Once you fret a note the nut is completely out of the picture.