Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is my Ric funny or something?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Intrepid, Feb 24, 2002.

1. Intrepid

Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    I have a '97 4003 and everybody describes this certain distinguishable sound that it has, but mine doesn't seem to have it. Maybe its my eq setting or the fact that I roll off the tone controls? Mine is very mellow sounding and much different then the high bite that ppl describe...I like it this way, because of the styles I play, but what gives?

2. Well, rolling off the tone controls will cut out most of the highs--you don't really expect to get a "high bite" with those settings, do you?

Seems pretty obvious to me...

Mike

3. catwig1

catwig1

Mar 4, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    The bass player for Stone Roses (Mani) used a Ric every time I saw them play, he has a dubby-type-sound (sorta). Not an "in your face" sound at all...

Matt

4. Intrepid

Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    Well to tell you the truth, does tone controls don't exactly say they have anything to with your highs and lows...I'm actually just trying to debunk bullcrap, "Rics only have this sound and this sound alone" thinking...and just checking, just incase my bass is wierd and in that case I should just shutup...I'm not the first owner, so it could have some hidden mods or some crap...I don't know

5. You're right, there's no guarantee that there isn't some problem with your bass, I suppose.

You've sorta lost me with your "tone controls don't exactly say they have anything to with your highs and lows" part, tough--what is it that you think tone controls do?

Mike

6. Intrepid

Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    Well I use to own a Sting Ray and you could tell which each knob did...now with the Rick, the tone knobs control each p/up, but to my ears, it doesn't add highs or lows...it just changes it...don't ask me, its just what I'm hearing...

7. The Stingray has an active EQ, which cuts or boosts different frequencies. The Rick (and lots of other basses, starting with the first Fender Precision) has passive tone controls, which just cut the highs as you turn the control down.

Mike

8. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    All Rics are funny.:D :p

9. As God said to Moses:

"... and #11: Thou shall not make fun of Rics"

:D

10. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Well, he asked for it :D

11. Intrepid

Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    I know that...so this goes back to my conclusion that Ricks are not one-tricky ponies...I would venture to say Stingrays are though...trying to play jazz with the growl that thing had...