1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is my Sansamp Bass Driver DI fried or what? (video)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Rafescow, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Rafescow

Rafescow

Oct 21, 2009
    Hello everyone.

Yesterday I was experimenting with connecting my DC 9V power supply to new sockets at my room while it was plugged to my Sansamp BDDI (which may have been quite dumb, I must say).
    After plugging it in and out of the sockets, I came back to practice and... well... my bass pedal wasn't working really well. It still powers on, but it barely outputs any sound other than LOUD popping and cracking sounds as my bass dry sound disappears with the blend. It occasionaly still comes back to normal operation, but it's quite instable. Bypass is OK, no problems with that.

Already tried soloing a 9V alkaline battery, same thing happens.

Here is a video:

I purchased this pedal 2 weeks ago at a Guitar Center store in Orlando with a discount from display model (didn't came with the box/manuals/etc), and they charged me separately for warranty, which I didn't pay for because I had no extra money. Summarizing: it's brand new but it's not under warranty.

What should I do?

Thanks!

Edit: I also have a MXR M82 Bass Envelope Filter which was also plugged during the sockets thing, but this one is 100% OK... (if that helps with anything)

2. 4001

4001 Inactive

Sep 29, 2004
    Lake County, IL
    Take it back and tell them it dosen't work.

3. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    If its new it should have a warranty. they try to sell you an extended warranty. return it. sounds like a dirty pot though.

4. Rafescow

Rafescow

Oct 21, 2009
    Forgot to mention that I live in Brazil and the receipt was lost as I came back from the USA... is there any other viable option other than returning it? There is only one Sansamp authorized dealer in my country and it's far away... was wondering if it would be worth sending it to some kind of pedal luthier around

5. suggs137

suggs137

Sep 30, 2011
  6. Rafescow

Rafescow

Oct 21, 2009
  7. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

If it works intermittently, it is likely a cold solder joint near the power supply connections. A little touch-up of the solder connections should take care of it.

8. suggs137

suggs137

Sep 30, 2011
    I'm not quite sure and I'm not an expert on electronics but using a power supply with improper voltage could've caused damage to the pedal

9. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    My paradriver made that sound on the blend knob when it was turned. The blend knob needed to be cleaned. Had it cleaned and it has been rock solid ever since.

Is the only time that noise occurs when that knob is moved?

10. cirrus1

cirrus1

Aug 16, 2011
    central Iowa
    GC ussually warranties their used gear for 30 days so just take it back to them.

11. Rafescow

Rafescow

Oct 21, 2009
    but would that happen also when soloing the battery? (without the power adaptor connected)

No. When I leave the pedal on it simply makes those noises without even touching any knob (I was turning the blend knob just to show how the pops would get louder as you heard more from the pedal). The actual "musical" sound from the output suffers a huge decrease in volume and the pops get louder as I turn the blend up...

12. Guitar pedals seem to have opposite polarity relative to everything else. In the non-pedal world, the tip is positive and the barrel is negative. I was surprised when I discovered guitar pedals are tip negative and barrel positive and so are the pedal power supplies. So if you use a ordinary power supply, the polarity is likely to be wrong. What effect this would have on the pedal is dependent on the pedal's design. Most electronics I have used do not care what the polarity is, and work either way, but most non-pedal power supplies are tip positive and barrel negative.

13. Rafescow

Rafescow

Oct 21, 2009
    I really don't think it is the power supply guys... the one I'm using was made for pedals... quick note: seems like when I leave the pedal on bypass while playing a little and then turn it on again it is many times better! I've been playing for half an hour now and it sounds almost 100%. Same happenned earlier... not sure if it is just coincidence though. I am thinking of the said cold solder hypothesis...

14. Borzi_4

Borzi_4

Apr 3, 2012
    LA
    If you gave GC your name phone no. etc.. they can print your receipt at the store, done it twice!

badstonebass likes this.
  15. tech21nyc

tech21nyc Commercial User

Aug 17, 2010
    Manufacturer: Tech 21
    The pedal will still have a warranty if it's new. We will fix it but you would need to pay for the shipping. You could possibly try to return it to Guitar Center. Even if it was a floor model I believe they offer a 30 day return.

Here is our support link for returns:
    http://www.tech21nyc.com/support/index.html

16. What's postage back to Brazil? Probably well worth having Tech21 sort it.

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021