Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is my song better with the verses shortened?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Gabu, Feb 12, 2003.

1. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    This is what spawned my "musical integrity" thread. I have gotten several coments that one of my tunes would sound better with the verse shortened. So, I hacked it up a bit, and here are two versions of the same tune. One with it's verses hacked in half.

Which do you all prefer? After listening to both myself, I am unsure. Comments are welcome too of course!

http://www.strangebloom.com/full-bleed.mp3

http://www.strangebloom.com/shortened-bleed.mp3

Thanks for your advice!

2. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Bump! Common, I know someone out there wants to listen to Gabu's Famous Cheese-Rock!

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I think that whatever you do, you should process the vocals, no offense to your singing abilities, but when people record their voice dry, it always lessens the overall song(for me at least) especially since the guitar has such a heavy reverb/chorus thing going on, having the dry, natural voice doesn't particularly fit for me, it might be just a touch of reverb that it needs, but I think that would greatly improve the sound and mix of the song.

hmmm...the shortened lyrics make the song move a little smoother, it makes it sond more like a song, the long versus make it sound more like spoken word poetry(not particularly a BAD thing, but its harder to get into). Its a tough call...I'm grooving for the shortened version I think.

4. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    IMHO the song worked for me either way cos I like that narrative style of songwriting/singing. I do it myself so consider it a biased opinion.

Shorter was smoother but if the song makes less sense less wordy then keep it as it. Unfortunately I was unable to crank the volume.

The non processed vocals work fine for me but on a more aggressive song with distorted guitars some reverb might help.

Whilst we are taking Gabe's songwriting/singing apart, the only thing I would suggest would be to make a difference in the chorus. This can be done by going up the octave, adding a backing vocal or simply double tracking. But then again it's your stuff.

5. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I was pretty surprised at first when I got a lot of feedback, all saying the same thing. "This song is too wordy."

Now that I have had a chance to listen to it a lot, I think I do like the shortened version better.

I also appreciate the idea of the vocal processing and will check that out next. :)

Thanks guys!!

6. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    This is a bit of a hack job, but I took the shortened version of bleed and added reverb to the verse and prechorus, and then I added chors to the verse. I didn't add the chorus to the prechorus because I was afraid it would mess up the instruments behind the vocals too much. (I don't have access to the individual tracks right now.)

I have two questions. Do you think I should leave the chorus out, using only reverb?

Of if I do use chorus, does it sound do you think I should use chorus on the prechorus as well?

Thanks!

7. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    This is a bit of a hack job, but I took the shortened version of bleed and added reverb to the verse and prechorus, and then I added chors to the verse. I didn't add the chorus to the prechorus because I was afraid it would mess up the instruments behind the vocals too much. (I don't have access to the individual tracks right now.)

I have two questions. Do you think I should leave the chorus out, using only reverb?

Of if I do use chorus, does it sound do you think I should use chorus on the prechorus as well?

Thanks!

http://www.strangebloom.com/processed-bleed.mp3