Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is my SWR combo dead?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Phil Smith, May 24, 2001.

1. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Last night I did a small gig and took my SWR Workingmans 10 and the 1x10 extension cabinet. This is the second time that I used this amp to play out and the first time that I used it with the extension cabinet. I did a 40 minute set, without a hitch and this set was sounding oh so sweet! I turned it off for about an hour and started the second set. I was using a EBS Bass IQ, and laying down a funky line when my sound disappears. Huh! I look over at the amp and the red led is off, I'm thinking, "Maybe the power went out or something?". Checked the power connection, good. Checked the fuse, not blown. All I get out of this baby is a hum for about a minute and it shuts off. Anyone familiar with this???

2. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    If you haven't already-take it to a tech-they can tell you whats wrong with it. thats all

3. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    I talked to the SWR folks, apparently they've had a couple of instances where this combo been pushed and wound up fried. The fix is a $15 dollar part plus labor. I took the amplifier part off and sent it to them to fix. The interesting part of this story is the authorized dealers that they have here in the NYC area. One charges $85 per hour and the other $100 per hour, and you have to give them $50 to just look at the thing, which will be applied to your final bill. In both those cases the repair could have easily cost me $200 or more. The SWR people charge $45 per hour and are more than like to know what's wrong with the think immediately. I may get away with paying $100 for the repair shipping included.

4. ive been the swr route. the customer service is adequate at best. although, i had never been charged for a warranteed repair, or shipping and ive done both several times with them, with the workingmans series, thermal shutdown, understandable, speaker failure, cold solder joints, etc.....it got old quick! (thermal shutdown is unacceptable to me, it just tells me i needed a bigger amp w/ more headroom). seems anytime i added a cab to the wm series i got shutdown,....... i did have an sm 400 that was the nuts!! on the other hand i went to mesa and they just plain get it done! no bs, no question of how old the amp is or if you bought it brand new, if you have your receipt etc..... they care about their product and back it to the hills! mesa has given me the best support of all the manufacturers ive dealt with. the tone is also hard to beat. i guess ive just become partial to tube sound, .........

5. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    My amp is being shipped back to me from SWR. Cost is $45.00 for labor, 11.38 for the burnt out IC, plus shipping. Not bad, compared to the quotes I got here in NYC from so called "Authorized Service Centers"

Phil

6. I'm dealing with SWR right now.
    Their customer service sucks!
    It's as if they've got nothing but
    smart mouthed punks working there.

7. xHarperx

xHarperx

May 8, 2001
    hey guys this is why I told you guys to stop screwing around with SWR crap ****!! buy good stuff -messa, AMPEG those to especially messa my bud bought a triple recafire it blew something 3 years later the fixed it free!!

8. Yes, Mesa has to have some of the best customer service I've ever experienced. When I played guitar I used to have one of the VTwin preamp pedals. I had some trouble with it and emailed them Within a few hours one of their guys was personally calling me on the phone! Now that's service.