Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is my technique "broken"?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Passenger, Nov 12, 2002.

1. Passenger

Passenger

Nov 10, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    I have been playing bass on and off for 3 years now and realized what might be a "broken" technique. On my left hand (the fretting hand) I noticed that my fingers are never parallel to the frets. I have pretty small fingers, I figured that might be the cause of this problem. Any advice, or comments?
    Thanks in Advance,

-ThePassenger

2. If your technique works, then it's not broken IMO.
    I have small hands too and my fingers are never parallel to the frets either, so what ?

3. bass_man86

bass_man86

Apr 29, 2002
    Virginia Beach
    Speaking as someone that is just under 70" tall I do not have the biggest hands either. I learned proper fingering technique from a friend of mine that was even shorter than I am an could still spread comfortably from the first fret to the fifth. The best suggestion I can give you is to keep your thumb behind the neck. That is not to say that it will never peek out in front but that is where the thumb belongs most of the time. What you can try practicing are basic formulas. These are your basic building block bass lines that you can build on. For example your basic rockabilly formula is 1, 3, 5, 7, 8 done to a shuffle on your basic twelve bar blues progression (1, 4, 5). 1 being the root to the 3 the 5, 7 and finally the octave. Just something to try.

4. Fliptrique

Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
    . If your thumb is behind the neck, you souldn`t worry about it.

hmm... Could it be that you don`t use your pinky often?

5. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Remember that the frets are the same space apart at the top and the bottom. The only way you can duplicate this with your fingers is to keep them together... in which case you can't reach your notes. As soon as you spread your fingertips, you can at most be parallel with one fret... so don't worry about it too much.

Personally, I do tend to keep my fretting hand fingers quite close together but that's for comfort (keeping the hand relaxed rather than unnecessarily stretched out under tension) rather than any 'geometric' theory of positioning ;)

Wulf