Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is my truss rod broken?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by peteroberts, May 20, 2002.

1. I have a '97 Warwick...I was doing some set up the other day and while trying to get some relief into the neck I noticed...first the truss rod turned quite easily, then after 3-4 turns it 'caught'...but every 1/2 to 1 turn it makes a creaking noise...any ideas anyone? It looks like I did get some relief in the neck but I had to turn it about 4-5 full turns.

2. :rolleyes:

The most worrisome part of your thread is the part where you say it turned 3 or 4 times, then "caught". Truss rods, in proper adjustment, are meant to turn ONLY ¼ - ½ revolution max and then be left to take a "set". Your description indicates a couple of things to me:

1. The trussrod was completely loosened before you began your "setup". That would account for the multiple turns before it threaded into the trussrod nut. How it got to be this way in the first place is an absolute mystery to me and how it was playable at all before the adjustment just compounds that mystery.

2. I don't think that the trussrod is broken or stripped. If the trussrod never tightened at all, well that would be a different situation. The fact that it achieved the desired relief is a pretty good indication of an intact unit.

3. The "creaking" is not unusual because the truss rod is actually forcing the neck into proper alignment against it's natural tendency to bow backwards. A "pop" or some other loud, instant sound is more troublesome and might indicate a total separation of the trussrod.

4. You probably aren't the best suited candidate to do your own setups. The unusual condition of the trussrod before the adjustment bears this out. Also, the quick willingness to crank it a couple of turns further - after the nut catching, indicates some impatience with this rather delicate procedure. Learn more about what a trussrod does, it's construction, and how to do a proper setup before attempting something like this again.

3. Thanks Hambone.

is it possible that the rod was all the way tightened instead of loosened? I was 'backing it out' trying to add relief. I understand that loosening the rod adds relief. Am I right?

This bass is not one of my regular players, so I'm much more inclined to 'experiment' than on my other 2 basses.

4. Beware! - the Warwick truss rods are rather strange... Some of the earlier ones have a removable 2-way which can be put in BACKWARDS and operate the OPPOSITE way to what you would think. Check out the Warwick site for more information.

Here's the manual

Good Luck! (and remember 1/8->1/4 turn at a time!!!!)

- Wil

5. thanks so much! It appears I have the 'original' truss rod.

6. When tightening the Truss Rod on my '97 Warwick (wenge neck) it makes a creaking noise. I don't think it's a problem.

A broken truss rod, when snapped becomes suddenly loose.

7. theJello

theJello

Apr 12, 2000
    Ugg.
    Did you say 5 turns in one day?!
    You shouldnt ever turn more than half a turn per day. It takes some time for a wooden neck to settle into the adjustment. You wont see it right away.

Also, how are you checking the relief?
    The best way on a 5 string from my experience it to hold down the first fret on the A string. Then with your right arm depress the string at the 24 fret. Now use a right hand finger to press on the string around the 7th to 12th fret. How much the string moves is how much relief you have. Obviously if it doesnt move and the string is up against the frets the neck is back bowed.

You can also be more precise with a feeler gauge and a straight edge. I like the first way because I have my neck almost straight. So its easy to just feel it out like this.