Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is my truss rod broken?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Gabu, Aug 17, 2003.

1. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Hi guys,

I was feeling like the action on my Steinberger Spirit bass was too high, so I looked down the neck. It looked a bit bowed.

I started to turn the truss rod, and it felt really loose. I played with it a bit, and it seems like I can spin it as much as I like any either direction without any effect on the neck, and without it ever tightening.

Is there anything I can do or check? Since this bass is a bit unusual, I am concerned about taking it down to a place like Sam Ash to have them look at it. Last time I did that it came back (all done according to them) buzzing on every fret. :meh: I hate to spend too much on such a cheap bass... But then again, it makes a great backup.

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Gabe, are you sure the hex head of the truss rod nut isn't stripped out?

3. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I am not sure. I have never torqued it very hard. Nor have I tuned up my bass, or used super heavy gauge strings. On the other hand, it has gotten hot and cold living in my garage.

There is a face plate on the end of the neck. Just two screws. I suppose I should just take it off and look.

I just get a bit paranoid and/or chicken about opening up my instruments in areas I am unfamiliar with.

More to follow...

4. You may have just undone it. Depends which way you turned it?

:D:D

Merls

5. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Hey Merlin, you were right. I held my bass upsidedown, and tried to push in, then started turning it, and it eventually caught. Now my bass is longer longer bowed. It plays well, now I just need to check the intonation.

Thanks one and all! :D

6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Gabu, you been buying those miracle "2 inch growth" pills off email spam again? ;)

Glad it worked out!

7. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    ;) Well, I didn't get a full 2" but I did turn my 34" scale into a 35" scale for only 36 monthly payments of $199.99.

Thanks again. I was really relieved. :)