Is my trussrod adjustment stripped?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by tonedeaf, Sep 10, 2003.

1. tonedeaf

tonedeaf Supporting Member

I've had my MIM Jazz Bass for about 3 years now. I've always played with super high action because I like to dig in a lot (probably too much). That brings me to my dilemma. This neck has always had a whole lot of concavity to it, the better to increase the action height. When I finally got decided to straighten it out a little, none of my allen wrenches would fit. I got to looking at the end of the truss rod, and it looks like it might be stripped. Whereas I can clearly see the hex outline on one of my other basses, this one looks like it has been rounded off. I've stared at it and stared at it, but I just can't tell for sure. Does one of these look stripped/rounded off to you? The left pic is my J-Bass, and the other is a Cort Freedom Bass that looks like I think the Jazz should. Call me crazy if I am, please.

2. I might not be right, but it indeed looks strip to me too. I had a similar problem with a MIM fender fretless jazz bass I bought used, but I was lucky enough to return it for a full refund to the person from who I bought it.