1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is my Warwick truss rod gooched?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Systolic, Jan 17, 2018.

1. Systolic

Systolic Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Madison,Wisconsin
    Trying to DEcrease the relief on '15 Warwick Corvette 6, but having an issue that I can't find via search or Google.

Turning the wrench ccw still catches the truss rod and will increase relief BUT turning it cw turns forever and never tightens or adds backbone.

I've come across frozen truss rods, truss rods that will tighten but won't straighten, broken truss rod nuts, you name it, but never one that turns indefinitely.

Is it toast?

2. BaileyMan

BaileyMan Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2012
    San Francisco
    I think only Dave can tell you if it's gooched. ;)

Fishheadjoe likes this.
  3. Systolic

Nov 29, 2009
    Madison,Wisconsin
    Watched 1 too many of his videos at work today it seems.

4. BaileyMan

BaileyMan Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2012
    San Francisco
    Lol. Yeah it's easy to go down that rabbit hole...

Wish I could help you out more...

5. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    If it turns indefinitely in the forward direction (CW), that pretty much means that the threads are stripped. Probably just at the near end. When you back it up (CCW) it may be able to push somewhat with the remaining threads at the far end, bending the neck forward a bit.

My professional technical assessment is that it is, indeed, gooched.

EpicSoundtracks likes this.
  6. Systolic

Nov 29, 2009
    Madison,Wisconsin
    No workaround to get this bugger a bit straighter other than to use lighter strings?

7. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    No, not really. If the truss rod isn't working, it isn't working. It doesn't mean that the neck is going to structurally explode. But it means that you have no ability to fine-tune the relief. The neck could potentially be straightened with heat, or by re-leveling the frets or fingerboard surface, but it will be trial and error to get it to pull to a working relief under tension of the strings. Possible, but difficult.

Switching to lighter strings may make the neck flatter, but that will depend on how stiff the neck is. Here's a quick test: Look at and measure the action (gap under the strings at the 20th fret) as it is now, up to tune. Then tune all the strings down a whole step. Check the action again. Did it change very much? Did that bring the relief down to a more workable range. Tuning down a step lowers the tension roughly the amount that putting on lighter gauge strings will. If the neck is fairly soft and flexible, the action will change noticeably. If the neck is stiff, it may barely change at all.

Systolic likes this.