1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is my wiring correct

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by turbo chicken, Mar 4, 2011.

1. -Okay i have a ... Dean Zone XM bass... basically a Edge 09 but with black everything. The bass has the original electronics inside

-I have hum which i know is going to happen with a passive bass but it is worse than the basses i played on the same amp at GC (i took my bass in to compare and look for a new bass), compared bronco bass, another dean zone. both cheap passive bassed

-below is how my bass is wired... does this look kosher? I can't find anything online that resembles this at all... infact the wiring is more simple on the schematics i find online. I'm assuming the "soapbar" pickup is a split coil inside based on the amount of wires... assuming this is why the red and white are just twisted together and taped. Am i right about the pickup?

-I'm handy with a soldering iron from messing with RC cars so im not scared to redo the whole thing if it's needed.

-So leave it or ... redo ?

basswiring.png

2. okay thanks for verifying... and i guess the current wiring gets the job done.

i did however want to make sure that ground wire actually touched the bridge... and it did!

BUT... the bridge is painted/coated black... and it wasn't actually grounded... i verified with my ohm meter by putting both the negative and positive all over the bridge and no where except where the screws wore off some of the finish was i able to get continuity.

so this tells me that while there was a ground wire it wasn't making a solid connection... looks like i need scrape away at the finish on the back for the wire and see if that fixes it...

we shall see shortly ...

yup a better ground helped... still some hum but it's not as loud now

3. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    grounding the bridge did not affect the output.

maybe the saddles got moved, and the strings are not as close to the pickups?

also, +1 to swapping the wires at the volume pot. with a single volume, there's no need for the compromise of running the pickup to the center lug. put the pickup on the clockwise lug, and take the output from the center lug.

4. thanks for the help guys.

The hum is still there just a little more quiet. When i touch the strings/bridge it allll most completely disappears.

and yes i did a setup on the bass when i put it back together... the pickup was super close it is now about 3.5-4ish mm from the bottom of the strings

im waiting for my copper shielding stuff and wire to arrive so i can resolder everything at some point this week...

5. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    if the noise diminishes or goes away when you touch the strings, then everything's normal.

shielding the hell out of the internals might still reduce it a little.