1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is MySpace.com the new Crack?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Phil Smith, Apr 15, 2006.

1. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    It seems that everyone is feverishly trying to amass as many friends as possible using every technological exploit imaginable to send you unsolicited mail about their myspace site or ways to get thousands of friends as if that's going to make their existance as an artist or a person legitimate.

From the main talkbass screen:

What do you think about this? Where do you see this heading? Is it the next step up from the old MP3.com? Is it the new drug of choice?

2. ebe9

ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
    Well look it as a forum for the general public...........we all have dedicated forums to our particular pursuit, and since we are dedicated to bass playing it will be something that endures in my view.

Myspace however, while having a very large membership base, most likely has a very high member turnover, i.e. Joe Soap signs up and enjoys the features of the site until he reaches a stage where he has found all the material that interests him and thus his usage /time online begins to decline and ultimately he either abandons his account or allows it to expire.

3. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

I hope not, Crack has had a nasty effect on Soceity.

4. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    MySpace has become many things...

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

At age 46, I'm too old for myspace.

Even so, a younger friend invited me to create an account, so I did. All I have there is another copy of my gigspam. The best thing about my site: no annoying colors, fonts, backgrounds, or music. :ninja:

6. steve21

steve21 Banned

I'm 16 and my myspace doesn't have annoyign colors, fonts, backgrounds, or music. :cool:

My personal Myspace... it's okay and all, but the main myspace I concern myself with is the band's.

7. skoti89

skoti89

Feb 23, 2006
    Chico, Ca
    I actually find people on myspace are idiots. They anoy me. posting stupid bulletins, adding friends that they don't know, just to make people think theyre cool. they should just die

8. Talkbass- the gateway drug!

9. trog

trog

Nov 8, 2003
    Scotland
    I think it's rubbish, but millions of other teenagers seem to disagree. Horses for courses etc.

10. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    NY
    I think we know what most people on myspace are dedicated to. :rollno:

11. I only use myspace to keep track of friends that I actually know. Well, that's not entirely true, I have a couple of random myspace people, but the vast majority are people that I knew before myspace and are my friends.

I haven't yet ventured out into the myspace boards. They scare me.:eek:

Rock on
    Eric

12. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    it has to be taken in moderation. i check mine once every couple of days unless i see that i have a message or something (via email).

the flipside is that a person can turn into my roommate and actually live on MySpace for 5 hours a day trading HTML pics, comments, and general stupidity.

Overall, i think its a great way to get your bands music heard as long as you dont cross the brink of insanity.

13. I was not very fond of myspace, but our singer has had some success marketing our band with it in the last month or so.

whenever we play a venue, he searches myspace for all women over 18 in a 10 mile radius of the club's zipcode. he then sends them invitations to add as friends. In the last few weeks, we've added more than 30 "friends" (all women:hyper: ). just before each gig, he sends bulletins inviting them to the gig and it's been bringing in a few more people each time.

so, i like myspace now.

14. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Myspace gives me the creeps.

15. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    if myspace = crack

then youtube = crystal meth

:bassist:

16. Some people are addicted to it. My sister has had her account for less than 3 months and has already received more than 500 comments and has 200+ "friends", I have had mine for a year and only talk to 2 persons out of 10 every other day, still haven't passed the 50 comment mark. It's disturbing to see 10 year old kids whore themselves online.

17. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I think World of Warcraft is the new crack.

I think Myspace is more of a marijuana type thing.

18. Thursday

Thursday

Nov 24, 2005
    Bronx, New York
    Myspace is for SCENE kids.

I have a myspace and it like I'm on crack.
    I have to check it every day. So heres the link for my myspace. ADD ME!!!!!! Thanks!!! (I'm whoring myself again)

http://www.myspace.com/knifepointloser

19. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    What's crack?

My bands got myspace, but I think people get a bit too carried away with their personal ones.

I'd also feel a bit wierd (especially if I was a chick) posting up pictures of myself to have pervs all over the world looking at them.

Meh.

20. I only use myspace to whore myself as a musician, and so far it's working, my first gigs in a year and a half through networking via myspace.