1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is 'Neck-Thru' worth the extra money?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MistaMarko, Mar 15, 2008.

1. MistaMarko

MistaMarko

Feb 3, 2006
    USA
    What REAL benefits does this feature give you?

2. There's 2 benefits to a neck through instrument.

Lack of a heel.

Bragging that you have a neck through instrument.

3. mutedeity

mutedeity

Aug 27, 2007
    Sydney
    It's all relative really. Bolt on necks aren't necessarily cheaper either.

Some people argue that neck-through basses have more sustain, some people think bolt-ons are punchier, but mostly this comes down to individual basses and the opinion of the individual assessing these factors.

To be honest, whether a bass is neck through, bolt on or even set neck, is the last thing I think about when I play a bass. If you like the sound of a bass it really doesn't matter how the neck is attached.

4. Jjango

Jjango

Nov 16, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I think that there just might be a few more benefits than Golden Boy has mentioned. :rolleyes: :)

The best thing about neck-throughs (IMO) is the upper-fret access. I'm sure that there are also alleged differences in sound.

5. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    They can look pretty cool, I suppose.

As for fret access, I would hazard to guess that the shape of the body at the lower horn has more to do with accessibility than the difference between neck through/bolt on.

6. Jjango

Jjango

Nov 16, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    You are of course, correct. What I should have said is that it's more comfortable to play up there with a sculpted heel.

7. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    That I can agree with. A sculpted heel is a wonderful thing. There are some bolt-ons that can approximate that slope, but neck through basses do it wonderfully.

8. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    I own two BO basses and one NT bass. IMO, not worth the extra money.
    Makes a very small difference in tone (if anything at all). As for playability, I wouldn't know. I dont' play THAT high up the fretboard.

9. lowbass68

lowbass68

Feb 3, 2008
    It is all personal preference. I would never rule out a bass just because of the way the neck is attached. Play a bunch of basses and pick the one the you like.

As mentioned before, the one nice thing about a neck-thru is thelack of a bulky heel if you play a lot of high notes. However, there are so many bolt-on necks with sculpted heels and deep-inset necks that they are as comfortable in the upper frets.

10. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    The damn things are SEXY!!

DSCN3474.

...seriously, there is nothing about a NT that cannot be made up with electronics and wood choices.

11. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    Bolt-on necks are replaceable should the need arise. Repairs on NTs can be made, but they are pricey and can effect the value.

12. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    Access to the upper frets is what I like most.

13. bassjigga

bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    IMO they have more of a smile EQ built in to the sound.

14. Flintc

Flintc

Aug 15, 2006
    Alabama
    If NT or BO is what you're making a buying decision on, then you'd better be looking at basses that otherwise sound and feel so competitive that you're down to splitting hairs. Any distinction between these in terms of how the bass sounds is WAY lost in the noise of pickups and electroncis, wood selection, amp, etc.

My reaction generally is if I find a bass that really turns my crank as a player, and it happens to be more expensive because it's a NT, this is a misfortune.

15. Bobby King

Bobby King Supporting Member

May 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I've found this to be the case. Usually I prefer bolt-on, Fender type basses, but in the case of a fretless, then the neck thru can be a plus.

Some people downright don't like neck-thru basses, so play before you buy!

16. steve4765630

steve4765630

Feb 27, 2006
    I prefer neck-through, but there are a bunch of bolt-on's that I like too. Having played both for a long time I have concluded that neck-through basses have cleaner tone with a more solid fundamental (actual note pitch) and slightly more sustain. Bolt-on basses have a grittier sound with more overtones (spinning notes above the actual pitch). Both are great, it just comes down to personal taste.

17. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    All else being equal (like that ever happens) I prefer the setup flexibility of a bolt on neck.

18. T-Forty

T-Forty Guest

Mar 14, 2008
    I'm going with
    "Bragging that you have a neck through instrument."

19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I have only one neck-through, a Yamaha TRB5P-II. It definitely has sustain for years but, tone-wise, I can dial pretty much all of its tones in on several of my other basses. It's a superb bass, though.

Bottom line, I have a neck-through bass, so dthud dthud dthuh.

Oh, you want a picture? Can do.

Yammer01tb.

20. Jeremy5000

Jeremy5000

Feb 25, 2008
    To truly get the difference you really have to have spent some time with both, (and preferably the same brand), to truly see the difference.
    There is just a feeling about a neck through that is hard to discribe, it's like it's more complete and makes you feel more connected to it. And maybe thats the real diference is the feel, lord knows as soon as the drummer kicks in you can't hear the diference, (or can you ;) )