Is New York really like New York?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by kirbywrx, Apr 15, 2004.

1. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Is NYC really the same as it is depicted in so many movies? Does it have steam coming out of every manhole, and yellow taxis (cabs) everywhere? Is everyone honking everyone all the time? Is there an SUV (or, 4WD) on every corner?

There is no real reason for this question. Its just that i live in Australia, and i recently found out that our CBD is the size of 2.5 new york city blocks. It really threw everything into perspective for me :D
  2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    New York is the New Yorkiest place on Earth. :D
  3. Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles

I'm not a dick.

4. Well everyone but you ;)
  5. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    Way to make friends bro :rolleyes: .
  6. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
  7. Im just going off my experience of New York, which was quite horrible. Im sure not everyone is a jerk, but I must have met them all when I was there.
  8. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA

Of course, that could say more about you than New York.
  9. I'm in Bayonne, NJ which is about a fifteen minute drive to NYC if there isn't traffic. The blocks in the city are big, things are WAY overpriced. $3-4 for a bottle of water ? Yea... I'll wait a while and get one for $1 when I cross the border. Their sales tax is to high so they all come to my state with my 6% sales tax. Most of the people are cool, except the drivers. The cabs and half the ones in SUV's are assh0les. It's an alright place.

As for steam comming out of the ground I've rarely seen that. And most buildings are that damn big :)

Joe needs to respond, he lives there.

-Had to fix the spelling of my town. Just got up and I spelt it Bayonnese.
  10. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I found that NYC was nothing like I expected when I first visited there. Sure, it was New Yorky, but not as sensationalized as in most movies. To get a good feel for NYC by watching movies, watch the ones that use NYC as a background rather than an active performer, if that makes any sense.
  11. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Gee, lookin' like an IBTL situation here! :rolleyes:

My grandfather worked for an oilfield equipment company that had one of the first major contracts with China in the 70's. The Chinese engineers that came to Houston were thoroughly convinced that the thousands of cars clogging the streets and freeways during rush hour were brought in solely to impress them.

12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    When I went to New York, my parents warned me about riding the subway. They told me there is a freak on every subway. I looked around the subway each time I rode it, and never saw the freaky person my parents warned me about. :D

13. That's pretty funny.
  14. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    Which obliviously isn't much..... what did ya do hang out in JFK for an hour?

I'm surprised by this generalization you made! I have read your posts in the past and thought "not a bad guy at all".... but you have proved me wrong man.

Going forward you may refer to me as the token "NY DICK", and you will receive the same respect you give your brothers (fellow bass players as this is a Forum For Bass Players!) here in NY. :mad:

in closing FAH-Q TOO!
  15. I haven't been in the city at night time in a while but a few years back while walking to a boradway play, there were about 2-3 hookers ever three blocks. That was funny to me as a ten year old. (Wow has it been 7 years already o_O ?)
  16. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Where the hell did you guys pay $3.00 for a bottle of water?
  17. Oh I was just making an example. I know it is much less on stores and vendors on the street, but I was in some movie theatre on the corner where a chicken sandwitch was about $11.
  18. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too

Nobou (sp?) maybe :D .
  19. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too

did you have an I (heart) NY shirt on?... or maybe a Red Sox hat? :p