Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is Newport New boring?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Davidoc, Jan 10, 2004.

1. While I'm taking advanced classes in school, and have a decent (1330) SAT, my grades havn't been the best.

Because of this, it seems that I will most likely be going to Christopher Newport university in Newport News, VA. I havn't had success with the better VA schools, as they're getting very difficult to get into if you're from northern VA. I didn't get into Delware either, and even if I get into the new england schools I applied to, they're a good 8 hours away.

From what I've heard, CNU has a nice campus, a good academic program, as well as a good music program, and there's alot of money in general with the university. While it's not as nice as say, JMU, William+Mary, UVA, Vtech etc, it's a much better school than Radford, VCU, ODU etc.

Here's the problem. From what I've heard, the social life sucks there, and Newport News is one of the most boring towns on the face of the earth. I don't want to spend 4 years of my life in a state of bordom.

How important is a good location to choosing a college? Do you have any experience with Newport News? Should I not worry about the lack of stuff to do?

Thanks!

2. Robert B

Robert B Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2000
    Hampton, Va USA
    Well, I don't know about social life around here (I'm an old, happily married guy...) but I find it hard to believe that anyone would be bored around here unless they're just the type who's bored no matter where they are.

I mean, even if there's not a lot of nightlife going on in Newport News, it's just a short drive to Virginia Beach and Norfolk. Judging from all the clubs and live music venues in that area and the fact that VA Beach is a vacation destination for many I suspect that you'd have no problem finding whatever activities suit you.

Plus, you mentioned William and Mary -- depending on where you are in Newport News that's just a 20-30 minute drive away. Even if you're stuck on campus with no transportation, how boring can it be to be surrounded by a couple thousand people your own age?

I'm retired Air Force and I've spent time in a lot of places througout the country and the world. IMO this is one of the nicest places around for someone looking for something to do.

Hey -- if you do decide to come here let me know if there's anything I can do to help you find your way around or whatever.

3. Thank you very much for the info, Robert. I'm glad that it doesn't seem too bad. Also, the point you mentioned about it being a college-a place with people my own age is a very good one. One of the things that concerns me though, is that they have something like an 18% graduation rate--most people transfer out.

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I have played with a few CNU players...all very capable players & pretty damn good readers to boot.
    I imagine DWBass & maybe even Robert B. will chime in with their opinions.

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Ha...I see Robert did stop by(took my time typing my 1st post; busy watching Seinfeld, MSNBC, etc).

Va. Beach & Norfolk, huh? Hotbeds of LIVE music?
    Where? In the '70s & '80s...yes, most definitely.
    If you find any, please forward them my direction.