1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

is not matching maple that bad?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Palomo, Oct 30, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Palomo

Palomo

Jun 16, 2017
    Venezuela
    hello, im curious if is that bad to build a body out of 2 pieces of maple of 20 cm of width 50 cm height and 5 cm thick. I have glued maple before but has someone seen an already builded bass of just 2 pieces of maple? does the union stripe looks that bad? photos would help choosing. thanks..

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
  2. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    That sounds perfectly acceptable to me. I've seen and played basses that are made with several pieces of maple that aren't matched - some might not like it, but most looked good to me. :)

Palomo likes this.
  3. Palomo

Palomo

Jun 16, 2017
    Venezuela
    if you have a photo i would appreciate it... thanks for your answer.

4. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Same.

A pic would help.

5. Jisch

Jisch Supporting Member

Some of this is maple, and it's certainly not matched :)

20151231_130124_zpsu5kvym6t 2_zpsqax0wzqk.JPG

6. Palomo

Palomo

Jun 16, 2017
    Venezuela
    yes but that's what i didn't want to happen. im looking for maple only body...

DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  7. kkaarrll

kkaarrll

Jun 1, 2014
    who made this, and how do I get one?

btmpancake likes this.
  8. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    If one piece has flaming or quilting and the other is plain grained, it looks off to me. I see a lot of Les Pauls like that and it bothers me on something that costs that much.

We need pics of your maple.

Felken likes this.
  9. Jisch

Jisch Supporting Member

I made it, PM me, we can talk.

kkaarrll likes this.
  10. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    WUD IS GUD...

custom_8_string_guitar_quilted_maple_1_large.

VC.

11. Palomo

Palomo

Jun 16, 2017
    Venezuela
  12. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Jan 10, 2013
    NW Mass/SW VT
    It's a matter of taste/opinion. Some folks have commented that they find the look improved by having at least a layer of contrasting veneer between the boards (if not bookmatched, though that look can also work with a bookmatch) as otherwise it can look (repeat, matter of opinion) random or sloppy. Or perhaps I should say, they have done without and wished they had inserted some veneer?

13. Palomo

Palomo

Jun 16, 2017
    Venezuela
    no, im asking about pictures of instruments builded of just the same wood, as the guitar pictured above. i know that with some details in the instruments the unmatched wood makes the point...

14. kkaarrll

kkaarrll

Jun 1, 2014
    I would like to see an all maple/other light color cutting board type bass...................

15. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Jan 10, 2013
    NW Mass/SW VT
    The guitars above have pinstripes (inserted veneer layers) on the lower one (bass) and bookmatched (not to mention quilted) on the upper one. Neither is random boards. Bookmatching can look quite good, but it requires either getting sequential boards and matching them, or cutting a board in half the hard way and matching it - or you can do it with veneer, which is commonly sold sorted for that to be an option.

See here for a holly to holly joint and slight remorse: #249

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
    Palomo likes this.
  16. My español is probably be worse than your english but in a friendly helpful way let me offer two correciónes.

Builded isn't a word in english. In the past, the verb build changes to built. It's irregular like virar and vuelto in spanish. I built the bass a week ago. It was built just for me. Have you ever built one like it. In the subjunctive: I want that it be built only from maple. The other small correction is that union line is understandable but sounds weird. Glue line or joint line sounds more natural.

Buen suerte y que tu nuevo bass salga como tu quieras.

Mugre

Palomo likes this.
  17. Palomo

Palomo

Jun 16, 2017
    Venezuela
    do you think it would be good for me to have a dictionary? thanks for helping me out... i wish the people who i've talked with could gave me an opinion if i have got better in english since 6 months or if i have got worse. i only know im trying to make harder sentences.

but going to your message, spanish doesn't care to me. english it's better but dont think that im inlove with the lenguage... people is what matters, right?

Fat Freddy likes this.
  18. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    You've made me laugh again.....Don't ask why....I have no idea....:roflmao:

19. Palomo

Palomo

Jun 16, 2017
    Venezuela
    hello @T_Bone_TL.

yes, infact the wood i have is from the same piece but it doesn't exactly match so, i cant just glue them together because later they wont come off easily.

by the way, wuilted maple its very resinous... but beautifull

20. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    go ahead and DO IT... random two piece plain maple looks fine - I've seen tons of them over the years:

13546A.

Reedt2000 and Palomo like this.