1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is older heavier gear getting cheap since light weight is the fad?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rooster009, Sep 19, 2018.

1. Rooster009

Rooster009

Feb 27, 2008
    Just wondering when the price of all of my past favorite amps and cabs will become cheap enough to buy for under a few hundred. I’ll take a few Trace Elliot’s, Ampeg’s, SWR’s and many more when they are givin away. Just saying! I can’t understand why anyone would be buying some of the lower end new stuff right now. There is so much great older gear for about the same money, and less money in some instances. It’s just crazy to me. So, send me all the old heavy gear for pennies when you are through with it.

Zbysek, Vin Taj, GreyEagle and 15 others like this.
  2. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Do you really think light weight gear is a fad, a passing fancy or craze to be abandoned when the next wave of cool lead sleds hits the street?

fad
    fad/
    noun
    1. an intense and widely shared enthusiasm for something, especially one that is short-lived and without basis in the object's qualities; a craze.
      "prairie restoration is the latest gardening fad in the Midwest"
      synonyms: craze, vogue, trend, fashion, mode, enthusiasm, passion, obsession, mania, rage, compulsion, fixation, fetish, fancy, whim, fascination;
      informalthing
      "when I was a kid, no fad was more apparent than the coonskin cap"

3. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    SM400s are going for $200 at GC online. Goliath cabs for $249. Cheaper on Craigslist. If you can lift it, you can have a kickass SWR rig for well under $500. A rig that would have cost right around 2 grand new.

Artman, GreyEagle, JZQuantum and 12 others like this.
  4. Rooster009

Rooster009

Feb 27, 2008
    Right on. Everyone is all about the new Trace Elf and the 2x8 cab, but for the same coin they could have a killer older Trace rig

bebi, discreet and rtav like this.
  5. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    many bass players have arthritis, back problems or shoulder issues, and those who don't sometimes want to avoid it. packing up your car and load in are so much easier without a 35 to 90 pound head to bring along.

besides, there are other - and arguably better - small amps than the elf. although i believe it's the smallest, it's far from the poster child for small amps. you can stick a 500 watt GK MB500 in a gigbag or jack pocket, and their hybrid is also very small. and being able to carry your head in a pocket means life is easier. not to mention i love how the GK MB500, MB800 and the fusion sound. but they're not the only ones, either.

6. Rooster009

Rooster009

Feb 27, 2008
    Sure it’s nice to have lite gear, but really even with the MB’s, you could find a used RB head that was in the same ballpark wattage wise for the same money. I remember when the lite class d heads first came out. They was considered slightly less than pro gear. Now they are the way of a whole industry movement. Many of those older, considered more professional models of the time, are still as good if not better. Still, the whole industry is throwing lite gear at us. Meanwhile, hevier pro level gear is sitting on shelves just waiting for someone with not much coin to pick them up. I just saw today on FB marketplace, a older Trace head and a Hartke 4-10 for $300. What? Get the bleep out of here! $300! Why would anyone prefer the muddy rumbles or the lower level headroom clipping class d’s over a really pro level rig. Just saw a Trace 4x12 cap today also. Cheap cheap cheap and that’s a one stop shop for anyone that’s looking for a outdoor stage rig. I get that some are forced into lite weight gear usage, but not a whole dang industry.

7. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Headroom and amp topology have precisely zero to do with each other.

8. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    You, clearly, have not played through a recent pro-grade "Class D".

I own an SVT-CL with a 6-10.

I own a 15" Mesa Walkabout Scout combo with a matching extention cab.

I own a 50 pound 4-10 and a 76 pound 2-10 (EA VL-210).

I am NOT "anti" big, heavy gear.

But recent lightweight heads sound ridiculously good.

A kid at my church had a GK MB500. It bothers me how warm and rich it sounds.

I have only played a Mesa Subway head in a store. But, dang, it sounded incredible.

Don't make sweeping generalizations.

A 1967 Camaro isn't a "better" car than a brand new Subaru WRX. They just have different cool factors.

The same holds true for a vintage SVT and a brand new Mesa Subway. Just different versions of awesome.

Play what you want.

But I bet you a ridiculous amount of money that from hehind a curtain you couldn't tell me which amps were good, modern "Class D" and which ones were vintage SWR, Trace, etc.

9. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    My lightest amps are my Epifan UL902C at 18lbs and my Ampeg SVT8-Pro at 23lbs. My last touring rig was a rack mixer and power amp mounted in a 10 space rolling rack. This sort of setup works great when you load out of a box truck to stage level, but is not very convenient for local gigs around town.

For local gigs I used a GK 700RB/112 combo which is a heavy little sucker but has built in built in wheels and a telescoping handle so it can be wheeled around like airport luggage. I bought this amp primarily because it was the best thing I could find at the time that would fit in the trunk of a Dodge Neon.

If I started gigging again, you can bet I would be interested in buying modern light-weight gear...and I have a basement full of awesome, but heavy amps to choose from. Keep your grubby hands to yourself. They are mine...all mine! ;)

Have you met @Rumbledore ?
    Fastest way 2 get rid of amps that are heavy

dbbltime likes this.
  10. Rooster009

Rooster009

Feb 27, 2008
    Right, my goof. I had never heard clipping like I’m referring to until I tried some lower end class d stuff. It isn’t wanted by my ears. I’ve had digital gear that can’t handle much input. It’s terrible in my opinion. Still, there are some really great finds for cheap right now. But there’s whole threads here on talkbass devoted to less than great and really sub par even for back before the lite weight movement started gear. And everyone just raves and raves about it. No thanks!

11. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Do you still have the same type of TV you had in 1985? I'm guessing no. There's a reason nobody wants the old stuff anymore.

12. Rooster009

Rooster009

Feb 27, 2008
    Oh I’ve played plenty, and you would lose a ridiculous amount of money in some circles. All I’d really have to do is crank the input gain to clipping territory and I’d be able to tell a difference.
    I’ll keep my Mpules 600 and big PH cab and keep lugging it around. And my Ampeg and Fender gear. You do understand what this post is about right? It’s about great older high end gear that’s not so light weight, being better than some of the new lower end gear that seems to have a big following. I bet I’m not alone in the hunt for great older gear.

Keger Jupit and kev451 like this.
  13. Look around.

14. Rooster009

Rooster009

Feb 27, 2008
    A TV has nothing to do with this thread. Sorry

barrenelly, roccobass, LowEZ and 5 others like this.
  15. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011

Maybe you just need to try some high-end lightweight gear. Thing is the market has become increasingly focused on value in addition to convenience and light weight, so that may not be as easy as you want it to be.

Sputter, GregC and Rooster009 like this.
  16. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    It's better the masses want this stuff

Cause yes anything that's actually worthwhile is getting cheaper n cheaper
    It's Amazing!!

Just matter time. I look forward to dying head rants and more shutdowns !!! Woo

yobtaf, Admiral Akbar and Rooster009 like this.
  17. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    I though the TV analogy was good.
    CRT vs LED ... nothing wrong with either, just a choice.

Not a fad though, it is part of the evolution for better and worse. At that point it's all about perspective.

Used to be nobody with a commercial heavy truck would dream of an automatic transmission. Now they're aplenty and wonderful.

Some folks are stuck on tubes, and cant get past the "fad" of mosfets/transistors etc.

Again, just perspective.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
  18. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Well now. I misunderstood the direction of your post. Upthread I mentioned that you can get a full SWR rig for $500 and so you can. Used, of course. But right now I’m running an MB500 into 2 single 15” SWR golight cabs - this rig is all used as well, cost $750, not that much more than the used SWR, weighs 15 pounds less all combined than just the Goliath cab I mentioned, no component weighs more than 42 pounds, and is far louder and just as clean and punchy as my old SWR rig. Speaker power handling is doubled as well.

The old SWR rig sits in my garage. Eventually I’ll find someone to unload it on.

The lesson here is that all used gear is REALLY cheap right now, not that 20 year old gear is better. I love the sound of my old SWR rig, but I love the sound of my “new” rig even more. I’m not lifting a 95 pound cabinet, and I’m not gigging a 28 year old head without backup. Yeah, it’s awesome and they are well built...but it’s 28 years old. I’ve never had a piece of gear fail at a gig and I’m not going to start now.

19. Rooster009

Rooster009

Feb 27, 2008
    Oh I’d consider it a fad. It’ll be here until the next big thing.

mikewalker likes this.
  20. Rooster009

Rooster009

Feb 27, 2008
    It’s lasted 28 years and you are worried about it lasting at the next gig?
    Just me, but I’d be more worried about the new stuff, since it has 28 years of catching up to do