is OLP Guitars any good!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DaRt, Jun 13, 2004.

1. DaRt

Apr 28, 2004
    i have a OLP MM2 Bass Guitar but lots of people say its not that good!! but is it any good?
    because i think its pretty good!!
  2. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    They're not bad, as long as you're not expecting the full-on Musicman experience. I'd definitely get one as a backup bass. You can always upgrade the pickup, electronics, etc later to make the bass more Musicman-like.

Have you checked out the Musicman SUB range?

Russ :bassist:
  3. DaRt

Apr 28, 2004
    thanks for telling me that!! haven't check the Musicman SUB range out yet!!
    but will later maybe!!
  4. Metallideth

Feb 19, 2004
    If it sound good, who cares if other people think? :eyebrow:
  5. bigBbass451

Apr 9, 2004
    yeah who cares what other people thing as long as you like it. I know my mm3 sounds great! deside for yourself
  6. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    ugh SUB's, for the price of a new SUB you could get like two Ibanez ATK's, which is pretty much a stingray.
  7. Yes. Good thought. Buy it am happy? Then is good. :smug:
  8. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    OLPs rock in my book. I've got one with a few little mods(new pickguard, new pickups and pre) and I would put it up against a SUB any day.
  9. problem is finding the atk's....well depends where you are....i own the only atk ive every really seen.....
  10. bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    OLPs? All depends on what you are looking for. The few I've played at GC have played fairly decent and had a pretty good passive tone but the hardware seemed pretty cheap and the construction varied GREATLY (excellent to god awful) from model to model. The natural wood (elm) did look good though.

I saved and got the SUB for many different reasons.

Definitely a more solid feel / better construction.
    American made (not that that really means it's better but it's been my experience that American QC is better than import).
    Much better hardware.
    Much better stock electronics (active two band and MM pickup)

Should you get a SUB over a OLP? Man...that's up to you. Definitely play them both and decide. The price point of the OLP and what you get for it is a definite plus. Is it better than the SUB?...absolutely not but then again it's 1/2 the price. ATK?....can't speak for it but I've heard nothing but good about them and they look great. Try them all out if you can (problematic with the ATK).
  11. bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Edit my previous post...I just realized that you already have the OLP. If you like it...stick with it. If it sounds and plays good to you that's ALL that matters. Don't let my opinion or anyone elses sway you. Your opinion is the one that counts.
    Rock on,
  12. CPL

Aug 24, 2003
    New England Area. USA
    If you like the way the bass plays and sounds, then stick with it, if you don't, then get rid of it. Don't listen to what other's opinions are, use your own judgement. Who cares what someone else thinks. What matters is what you think.
  13. I have a MM-3 and I love it. It gets all the tones I need. People say its a one trick pony but that isint true. I can get a Les Claypool Sound, A smooth jazzy sound, And many others.
  14. Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    OK...with this comment...Then what would an Ibanez 510 BTB be compared to. Isn't a lil higher on the food chain than the ATK??? Irregardless...I'll never give mine up.
  15. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Beeep beeep! Grammar police. It should be.. "Are OLP guitars any good?" and.. "I have an OLP..."

You're under arrest.
  16. Dan Molina

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    I just didn't pick the ATK out of the air. IMO it's as close to a stingray as you can get without having to spend $1000+
  17. Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI

Never said you did. Was just curious to know where my Ibanez falls into place in the great grand scheme of things. BTW...I see you have the same avatar set up as do ya like it? I play the sound.
  18. Dan Molina

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    I have never played your model of BTB's though I have played a BTB and it was quite impressive.

As for the Avatar I won't fully know. It's in the shipping process, it should be here Wednesday according to UPS tracking.
  19. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Or a used Stingray. I enjoy the SUB's, I just can't justify buying a brand-new watered down Stingray without a case for what I paid for my EB Ray with a small hole in the finish.
  20. niomosy

Nov 9, 2002
    They're okay as a starter bass. I've got one and for basic stuff, they do the job. When I start getting into fretboard runs and such, it just doesn't work quite as well.

Of course, when I've played the OLP bass a bit then switch over to guitar, my fingers just fly ;)