1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is Pino The Greatest Bass Guitarist Out There Today?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by SoCal1, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Imagine...When Allen Slutsky sought a bassist to play the opening solo for the film Standing In The Shadows Of Motown (a sort of Bernadette variation) he gave the job to Pino when he could have gotten virtually anyone to perform that honor. When The WHO needed a replacement for Entwistle due to Johns sudden death...they agreed on Pino. Pino being asked to pay (and play) homage to perhaps the two greatest rock bass guitarists of all time.

Pino is certainly among the most versatile bassists ever...performing rock, jazz, R&B, soul, neo- soul, etc...each with an enviable amount of virtuosity. He was a pioneer of the fretless bass in rock, and plays that, as well as 4 string, 5 string, and 6 string with amazing skill. Anthony Jackson called him "annoyingly great".

Is there anyone better out there today?

2. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    Yes

...but that doesn't diminish Pino's skills in any way. He's a monster fer sure.

3. best known bassist i say hes up there, but more than likely the best out there is some unknown cat that isn't discovered yet, its always that way.

4. If a major producer sent out a call for a bass guitarist, with no knowledge of the genre or style of the music to be performed...who would you call over Pino?

5. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    You can talk "greatest" or "best" all you want but it's always subjective.

What isn't subjective is how incredibly deep the pocket is here.

D'angelo live - YouTube

I love Pino.

6. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Qu├ębec
    Pino is scary good.

D'Angelo's Voodoo, turned my world upside down.

7. Duke21

Duke21

Nov 14, 2010
    Narvik, Norway
    Can't really say that this song on YT turned my world upside down, but this is not my type of music. Regardless, I can't see what Pino is doing on the song is to be classified as the greatest or so. Other super session bass player as Lee Sklar or Nathan East could perform just as well.
    But for sure, guys like Pino and Lee are amazing, just a look at their "CV" says it all.

8. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    It depends on the gig but a bunch of guys, including: Anthony Jackson, Will Lee, Michael Rhodes, Dave Hungate, Nathan East, Ricky Minor, and Marcus Miller to name a few. All of those guys do stuff Pino doesn't/can't.

9. Other than the last sentence (Remember...Pino learned and performed the entire WHO tour in a couple of days)...I agree that those you've mentioned are terrific players and would bring a high degree of confidence to any project they'd be a part of in most any genre...plus a few others.

10. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    One of my favorite Pino clips - some groovin' jazz on the fretless.

Dominic Miller (The Tweeters)-Truco - YouTube

As king biscuit points out, there are a ton of great session bassists. In addition to the guys he's listed I'd include Justin Meldal-Johnsen, Tony Levin and Tim Lefebvre.

Great respect for all of those guys. As I said, people can argue who is the best but these are all A-list cats at the top of their games.

11. tapehead

tapehead

May 27, 2008
    It seems everytime I've tried to listen to Pino's playing (Who, D'Angelo, John Mayer) his tone is always muddy to me..Is it just my ears? But I dont hear this with most other bassists...Especially bassists that are somewhat revered..
    Anyone got examples where his tone is clear and cuts through?

12. Try this fretless Pino effort for tone...

13. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    I hate "best" bassist debates, although Pino has mad groove skills.

14. ffutterman

ffutterman Talentless Bass Enthusiast

May 7, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Why not Fieldy? :bag:

15. dustinfennessey

dustinfennessey

Sep 29, 2011
    WI
    Brian Cook

16. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    Is Pino The Greatest Bass Guitarist Out There Today?

hahahaha ... I needed a good laugh.

17. Perhaps I could have framed the question a bit different. Instead of...Is Pino the greatest player out there, perhaps the question should be...Is anyone out there any better???

18. tapehead

tapehead

May 27, 2008
    Yeah I've heard "Everytime" and thats not bad (not a huge fan of fretless)..I was speaking of his output that I've heard from the last 10 yrs or so.

19. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    At the level Pino is at... there isn't any "bests"... just different.

20. bubinga5

bubinga5

Jun 6, 2006
    cheltenham(UK)
    There is no such thing as a 'the best' bassist... it just doesnt exist... music and playing is to subjective... Pino is certainly one of my favorite players though, and one of the most versatile