1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is Playing "Money" On Bass In A Music Shop The Equivalent Of Playing "Stairway" On Guitar

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by TDPRI Bones, Aug 2, 2019.

1. TDPRI Bones

TDPRI Bones

Jul 25, 2019
    I must admit, when i try any instrument in a shop, I instantly forget everything I know and start fumbling around, grasping for anything that might sound musical and when trying basses lately, I have got myself falling back on this particular "gem" or "Back on the Chain Gang", songs that I learned a million years ago and can play in my sleep, blindfolded. Same thing happens with guitar, but not with Stairway because I hate that song and never bothered to learn to play it.

beniciaboy, Patrock, feschyn and 5 others like this.
  2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I'd rather hear "Money" than yet another slap massacre of "Higher Ground", that's for sure! :woot:

3. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    This.

I worked in a guitar shop for about six years. Higher Ground was easily the most played bass riff. As much as I love the song, it's difficult for me to hear it and not shutter a little.

4. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    I could live without ever hearing any chili peppers or white stripes again. That's both in guitar shops and on the radio. :laugh::roflmao:

5. Winslow

Winslow

Sep 25, 2011
    Y'know, I need to remind myself how "Money" goes (been a long time). But when trying out basses, my go-to noodly bit is part of "La VIlla Strangiato." :thumbsup:

6. JGbassman

JGbassman Supporting Member

May 31, 2011
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Yea higher ground. Played right it’s ok, but it’s very seldom played right.

Another one bites the dust is a little easier, so it beat a little more to death, but nothing like 7 nation Army. Ugh....

Me? I throw out a little Barney Miller theme song, just to throw off the kids.

“I want you Back” is another I gravitate to when looking at a bass.

Harmonics are always tested with the first few bars of “A portrait of Tracy” but most strings are dead to the point in a guitar shop they don't have much life.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
    feschyn, Mr_Moo, bkbirge and 15 others like this.
  7. LBS-bass

LBS-bass Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    Anything in 7/4 deserves at least a little respect.

8. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    Yes.

TDPRI Bones likes this.
  9. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    Money is acceptable - people will know you are cool, know your Pink Floyd, and dig the music of the immortals.
    Slap is not - you'll be marked as a dweeb and forever scorned, destined to spend the rest of your life hiding your head in public.

10. mike o

mike o

Jan 3, 2009
    Monroe, GA
    Congrats on knowing that!

My band just added Money to our set list. Goes over very well.

11. TDPRI Bones

TDPRI Bones

Jul 25, 2019
    Ha HA , I love the Barney Miller theme and have enjoyed having a bass again and playing it.

jaymag_87, feschyn, bkbirge and 7 others like this.
  12. TDPRI Bones

TDPRI Bones

Jul 25, 2019
    It has a couple time changes at the bridges to 4/4 and 6/4. I think it's a really fun song to play, I just didn't know if it was hacky or not.

I agree on the slap stuff. I don't slap, the music I like doesn't require or benefit from it.

13. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    Definitely this.

And 'Money' played in the right key, with the right meter is a thing of beauty. So rare, though.

TDPRI Bones likes this.
  14. LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    It does have some time signature changes, which makes it fun!

Spectrum and TDPRI Bones like this.
  15. LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    But you can actually count seven through all that if you want.

barrenelly, Bobro and TDPRI Bones like this.
  16. Londo Molari

Londo Molari

Jan 1, 2014
    2 blocks east of Mars
    Decendant from the Clovis culture. "Emitting that wonderful bass effect since 1970".
    I've always preferred "Lark's Tongues In Aspic pt 2" for music store bass testing.

morebass!, brntrssll, HughC and 14 others like this.
  17. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I might recommend Mahavishnu's "Dance of Maya" also (10/8 and 20/8). Though I can't play it, but if I could, yeah, I'd hit the music stores with it. :D

(I particularly like when the "fractured boogie" and "psychotic arpeggios" (my nicknames) cross over each other towards the end.) :D

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  18. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    No! It's not even close!

I've worked in four music stores and heard "Stairway" every damn day, multiple times per day. I've never heard anyone play "Money". I'd be fine if they did.

19. crucislancer

crucislancer Supporting Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    I don't think I've ever heard anyone play "Money" when demoing a bass. It's usually some slap line. When I demo a bass, I'll usually play bits of songs that I'm playing in the band I'm currently in. A couple of times, just to be a turd, I would play the bass line for "Stairway" to see if anyone would recognize it. No one said a word about it. :woot:

20. Not Money, but my (very) occasional music store mainstays are:
    - Push It
    - 99 Red Balloons
    - The first few bars of Jefferson Airplane’s version of The Other Side Of This Life

A guitarist I used to work with used Hocus Pocus as his music store tune. He could handle it, too.

danesdad, Bassman013, JimK and 3 others like this.