1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is Playing "Money" On Bass In A Music Shop The Equivalent Of Playing "Stairway" On Guitar

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by TDPRI Bones, Aug 2, 2019.

1. jaymag_87

jaymag_87

Feb 11, 2010
    Dallas, Texas
    My first thought on this topic was "Another One Bites the Dust" would be the Stairway equivalent..

jugglingfreak likes this.
  2. it means that in 7/8 and 1/8 note gets a beat and there are 7 beats in a measure...
    in 7/4 a quarter note gets a beat and there are 7 beats in a measure...
    simple...

3. John6

John6

Jul 9, 2019
    Central Ohio
    I fiddle then play Children of The Sea by Sabbath. Has a sweet and slow part and a fast nasty part.

danesdad likes this.
  4. "Money" is a pass if you are testing a Gibson Money Bass.
    [​IMG]

Jimmy4string likes this.
  5. Dude, that is so true! There are times I just run a major scale for lack of anything else coming to mind

danesdad likes this.
  6. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    Geetarshopworker '11-16. Never heard Stairway once. Heard Blackbird a few too many times, Seven Nation a few hundred too many times, but never heard the same thing twice in the bass section.

7. thewildest

thewildest

May 25, 2011
    Montreal
    Play Money and probably get indifference.
    Play Teen town and probably get attention.
    Play Yakety Sax and probably you'll get admiration.

8. I start with an adaptation of the guitarron part from Joe Walsh's "Life Of Illusion" I play it all over the neck as it can cross 4 strings, then some walking blues lines up and down the neck. I don't slap basses unless they've been bad. ;)

9. LBS-bass

LBS-bass Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    I just count through the phrase to seven and note that you hit the one at the beginning of the phrase after a count of seven. Since I'm not reading it, I'm not really worried about whether the notes within those seven beats are doubled up or not. For me it's mainly a feel thing anyway.

TDPRI Bones and Winslow like this.
  10. RichardW

RichardW

Feb 25, 2016
    near Philly
    My go-to is usually John Paul Jone's opening riff on "How Many More Times."

danesdad, knumbskull and TDPRI Bones like this.
  11. Winslow

Winslow

Sep 25, 2011
    This was an interesting enough question that I went and looked in the P/V/G book I have for DSOTM. It shows 7/4 all the way through until it goes to the one measure of 6/4 for the last phrase at end of a verse ("Think I'll buy me a football team," e.g., with "team" hitting the downbeat of the return to 7), 4/4 for the middle solo section (of course), then back to the same 7/4 & 6/4 bit for the last verse, and 4/4 to the fade-out.

I've always counted the "7" sections in 7/4 as well, and it fit, so I never gave much other thought to it. :thumbsup:

LBS-bass and TDPRI Bones like this.
  12. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I really don't play any songs. I'm not there to impress anyone. I'm there to determine how well the bass plays, see if there are any dead spots on the fret-board, and listen to the tome. I play a lot of very common boiler plate riffs and runs. The closest I get to playing a song is the intro to Keep Playing That Rock and Role (Edgar Winters)

Jimmy4string likes this.
  13. Biffa

Biffa

Apr 16, 2019
    County Durham, UK
    I like to do the outro on 'Jacob's Ladder' (the guitar and bass outro)

Winslow likes this.
  14. mahoho

mahoho

Jul 29, 2019
    My guitar shop routine consists of a few snippets of Siberian Khatru interleaved with quiet, timid noodling.

danesdad likes this.
  15. Hazeyhaze

Hazeyhaze

Jun 15, 2019
    Random rant

16. In YOUR opinion. If you let people in that sort of situation walk all over you, I believe you will deserve what you get.

“The meek will inherit the earth. Their inheritance will be six feet by three feet.” — Robert A. Heinlein

17. Acid Rain

Acid Rain

Dec 23, 2017

18. Acid Rain

Acid Rain

Dec 23, 2017
    Money has always been my natural go to riff in any potential buy along with Fleetwood Mac The Chain.

19. My go-to riff has always been "Godzilla". So much so that my local music store probably hears it as I walk in the door.. :laugh:

John Swartz, danesdad and Winslow like this.
  20. Pazelaya93

Pazelaya93

Jan 2, 2015
    Homestead
    My go to song is intension by tool lots of sliding and octaves and harmonics. Really puts your hand all over the place.