1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is Playing "Money" On Bass In A Music Shop The Equivalent Of Playing "Stairway" On Guitar

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by TDPRI Bones, Aug 2, 2019.

1. dr doofie

dr doofie

Jul 6, 2017
    Jersey (New)
    Gotcha. In the old days I played a lot of Bach Inventions, Preludes, and Fugues (sp?) on piano, and it’s some of the most difficult stuff technically.
    “Bangin’ Out Bach” would be a good album name for a collection of covers tho..;)

barrenelly and BOOG like this.
  2. TDPRI Bones

TDPRI Bones

Jul 25, 2019
    Thanks for all the fun and interesting comments on this thread, it was great reading them all :cool:

BOOG and mrb327 like this.
  3. izorbot

izorbot

Jun 9, 2019
    Ks
    I always default to "when electricity came to Arkansas"... always worked at gigs too when someone
    in the band was having a little technical difficulty with their equipment. As long as my rig still worked
    I'd jump into it with the drummer and keep em entertained for a few! Good tune to check out new
    bass prospects at GC too! Never played "Money" though!.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
    JimK likes this.
  4. Fun With Dirt

Fun With Dirt

Mar 25, 2017
    North GA
    I never really dabbled in Latin/Salsa or anything and I never had issue with going in/out of 4/4 to or from something else. I just the feel and that's pretty much it. I do it with little regard to the actual count. Now, if I was sight-reading, then I might hit a bump there as I hadn't established that feel yet and I'd be counting in my head. ...which I am terrible at. haha. Mainly due to lack of use. I can read music notation... but it is just slow as almost no one I play with can sight read, employs sight read, or can even read music. Maybe less than 10% can and do. So, they keep my theory limping along. haha.

JGbassman and BOOG like this.
  5. BOOG

BOOG Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2016
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Sure helps knowing what you’re looking at though, huh?

6. Wood and Wire

Wood and Wire

Jul 15, 2017
    I like Jazz / I like Precision.
    Curing GAS is my bass mission...

:bassist:

TDPRI Bones and PWRL like this.
  7. andawun

andawun

Jul 13, 2009
    10/4 on playing a tune in 7/4 after some 4/20 but then there's 7/11!!!

8. Yellow Bang66

Yellow Bang66

Jun 5, 2019
    I once heard the seinfeld theme in a GC i thot that was hilarious!

Obese Chess likes this.
  9. Especially since it was originally played on a synth.

LBS-bass likes this.
  10. TDPRI Bones

TDPRI Bones

Jul 25, 2019
    hmmmmm, so both Roger Waters and David Gilmore say it's in 7/8, not 7/4. You can debate what that means all day long , but it is a different feel IMHO.

11. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

:)

when you have to measure an instrument's worth/value by how it sounds on a specific tune = :laugh:

12. BillLee64

BillLee64

Jul 2, 2014
    Since an inordinate amount of musicians and music store employees exude an "air" that resembles something that comes out of your ass, I prefer to play "..all around the mulberry bush, the monkey chased the weasel.... Silly Billy Piper 010. " in stores to lighten everyone up. It works every time!

TDPRI Bones and xhawk5 like this.
  13. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    I've been playing a long time, and my try-out methods aren't so much about playing song licks as learning how the bass sits in my hands and what the bass can do. Listening to every note on every string (whole notes) chromatically. Playing some short licks to check neck contour and string spacing. Listening for "dead" spots. Of course, going through the electronics for tones.

And noting whether all it needed was some set-up, and was otherwise ok.

If the bass is feeling good overall, all those song licks will be easy to play. Check the ergonomics of the instrument. When you find one that really suits, buy it!

barrenelly and xhawk5 like this.
  14. xhawk5

xhawk5 Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Palm Coast, Florida
    Simplistic riffs like "Money", especially the Sax part and solo area's. "Pigs" for the bass intro and middle part, "Sunshine Of Your Love" w/distortion, "Another One Bites", "Ramble On", "Day Of The Eagle", "Californication", and more just to test the fretboard up and down... Some drop D stuff also... Godsmack, Creed, etc...
    You get my drift. No, I don't slap much so we'll have none of that nonsense at GC! :laugh:

15. Inna Gadda Da Vida really makes everyone's day! ROTFL.

16. acid bass

acid bass Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2010
    I ALWAYS make this same mistake. Doesn't help that it also has a very signature bass line to it.

I don't frequent music stores a ton these days, but I agree that Higher Ground is much more the Stairway than Money (which I have never heard played in a shop believe it or not). I also agree with the folks that said Hysteria became the new generation Higher Ground, as well as any Wooten double thumb/triplet pattern.

And, full disclosure, I'm guilty of playing all of these and more when I was young. The head-turner used to be Linus and Lucy, though I think it's too old now to be impressive. It's not my fault though, I started playing bass when Primus was big. PRIMUS. Of course I was gonna try to show off!

17. Eyesee7

Eyesee7

Jul 17, 2005
    I'm another whose mind seems to go blank and I just end up playing random walking lines, which is probably better anyway to hear the tone, individual frets, etc. Then at some point my hands automatically go to Rush's "A Farewell to Kings", probably because I can actually play that as opposed to say, "YYZ".

Can't say I've ever heard "Money" in a music store, but I've heard a whole lot of slappin' and poppin'... which I don't do and have no desire to learn.

TDPRI Bones likes this.
  18. Bass1969

Bass1969

Dec 29, 2018
    I see bassists trying to cover Entwistle's "The Real Me" and getting not so close. Same for me. The 'Pretenders' "Ohio" is a good bass line to work the fretboard without getting too much lost. I prefer "Louie-Louie" or "Wild Thang". /s

19. heatheroo1

heatheroo1

Dec 14, 2009
    Ephrata, PA
    Noodling around on a bass......
    Whipping Post, Byrdland, Blood and Roses

danesdad likes this.
  20. crabfunk

crabfunk

Feb 22, 2017
    I like to run a scale or two, maybe some blues changes, and now that I think I think about it, if I play a song it's most likely going to be "The Chicken." I can easily see how that could drive employees and other customers crazy, though. :D