1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is plugging a head into a power conditioner bad?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by abcdefranklin, May 30, 2010.

1. The head is a gk 800rb the power conditioner is a furman m8dx. I would have the head 2 9v power supplies one for a sansamp bddi and one possibly for a line 6 xds a korg dtr2000 and a 120vac fan.

2. Flatty Banks

Flatty Banks

Oct 26, 2008
    California
    Any reason why it wouldn't be?

3. PJMiDi

PJMiDi

Feb 27, 2009
    Columbus, OH
    I use a power conditioner 100% of the time. No problems to report. The furman should be a fine choice.

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
  5. I posted another thread about rackmounting etc. And someone said that it's not a good idea to plug in the head to a power conditioner so i figured i'd ask here

6. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    I had a Stewart power amp worked on once. I was specifically instructed by their head engineer never to plug their power amps, of any other quality name bass head or power amp into a power conditioner.

The conditioner will attemp to 'control power flow' to the head or power amp to protect it and can starve the head of all the power it wants, and damage the power amp or head.

I had been using a conditioner. I did have power with the power amp. I never again and will not again.

7. so what do you do now?

8. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
  9. In the 35 years plus that I've been playing from huge arenas to the smallest of dives, I've never had the need to use a power conditioner, to me their just a big waste of money.

10. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    that article also seems to say that tube amplifiers are complete trash and shouldent exist, and that its a cut-and-dry fact that vinyl does not sound as good as CD.

:ninja:

11. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    It can hurt, by leaving the amp current starved, and it can't help, so there's no reason to have it at all.
    Read it in the context intended where SS vs tubes are concerned, which is clean high power for hi-fi applications. We love our tubes for instrument use, but only because they don't run pristine clean. And vinyl sounds OK only until it gets that first scratch. :bawl:

12. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    your right about the scratches, but a clean vinyl certainly sounds more robust and "fat" than a CD, but does also have a darker high end. but thats totally a subjective "like or dont like" thing.

and, i know the articles point of view was from hi-fi intended point of view, but he kept using the word "amplifier" and i assumed he meant instrument amplifier.. wich he may not have.. (i could go look again cause i think he says "guitar amplifier," but this is off topic anyway..)

13. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    I use good brand name power amps and bass heads and plug them into quality fused power strips.

And insure ALL my gear.

14. link for good strips please?

15. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    What he meant is power amplifier. Technically there are pre-amplifiers, power amplifiers, and integrated amplifiers, which combine the two. Musical instrument amps are integrated amplifiers.
    I picked one of these up at Lowes yesterday. Metal case, 15 foot 14 ga. cord. That's plenty for most rigs.
    http://www.lowes.com/pd_101418-66906-PB002135L_0_?productId=3199623

16. OtisRocks

OtisRocks

Oct 28, 2009
    Toronto
  17. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    I've been intending to pick up the cheapest possible one I can find purely as a clean way to police semipermanent AC power connections within the rack.

To me, that's an incredibly persuasive reason to get one of these otherwise stupid devices if it does no harm...but if it does, then I'm out. :(

18. I'm still going to purchase the furman But i'll definately pick up that power strip. itll be fine if i plug the furman into that power strip and the 800rb to the power strip right?

19. onlyclave

onlyclave

Oct 28, 2005
    Seattle
    Furman M8's are simple MOV based surge protectors. When the MOVs fail, the box is toast and has to be replaced. It is also possible that once those MOVs blow, all surge suppression is gone.

Buy a Furman PL8C and get a much better conditioner.

Also, ignore Bill Fitzmaurice. He makes speaker cabinets, which AFAIK never needed power conditioners and he cites Internet "experts". There are better arguments pro-conditioner.

There's a good reason there's one of these in every single sound reinforcement rack out in the field.

20. A very large power surge took out my Furman one night at a small club which was protecting a yamaha digital sound board and a full eq/effects rack. The Furman did it's job and saved my gear and Furman replaced the fried conditioner free of charge. I would never trust an expensive amp or electronic gear to a simple power strip. Just my opinion.