Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

is possible get a warm sound from a SS amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by terraplane, Nov 26, 2002.

1. terraplane

terraplane

Oct 14, 2002
    Italy, Palermo
    I've got a all transistor head, a markbass head, it is a italian made head, and sound like a a eden, but a little less compressed...more like a swr..it is in the middle:) I've a ebs multicomp compressor, that in tube mode give to the amp (this head is all SS, pre and power amp) a little tube colour. Is possible to get the vibrance of the tube by a SS amp? I know that is impossible to get the same sound, but you know some effects, pedals or something that can give a vibration to the sound like a tube?
    Thank you,
    mike

2. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    sure, the tech 21 sansamp bass driver di is a footswitchable pedal that is supposed to give your tone that tube warmth... it works pretty well and can be bought at reasonable prices via ebay..

i went to my local music store and bought one just cause i wanted to try the thing.. i was quite impressed, but i'm returning it because i cant justify spending $300.00 (canadian) on it.. if it had a volume i would like it better because then i could plug my bass into the pedal and plug the pedal into the effects loop of my amp and totally bypass my amps preamp.. i can do this but i lose a lot of volume.. (sounds great tho)..

other benefits: it's a DI pedal so it can go direct to your mixing board and the signal from the pedal can be blended to your liking, it gives you a parallel output so you can run a uneffected signal to another amp.

ie: bass >>> pedals input >>
    > output 1) wet effected signal to amp (or wherever)
    > parallel output 2) dry uneffected signal to your amp (or wherever)
    > direct output 3) wet/dry blended signal to mixing board

so it can be used as an expensive way to split your signal!

it does add some tube warmth to your sound, how much depends on you, but it does do what it claims.. it's got a decent distortion sound, adds some good tone options and some versatility to most setups.

good luck.

3. I use the sans amp rack mount DI and use solid state....what a great warm tube sound I get with it! It is one of the best pieces of gear I have used and plan on getting another to use for that "Hot" sound. SABDI is "IMHO" a great investment!:cool:

:)

4. terraplane

terraplane

Oct 14, 2002
    Italy, Palermo
    The pedal, and the rack version, is a normal effect, a DI, or is it a preamp? I need no preamp, cause my head have got a preamp. I've got to use this one only for the stage? When I send the signal to mix from this box, the signal i give to the mixer, is the amplifier equalized signal + tech21 effect (tubelike or other effects), or is ONLy the tech21 signal, and no other equalizations?.
    thanks!
    mike