Is Price and Name Everything

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Budgetbasses, Jan 20, 2005.

1. Budgetbasses

Jan 20, 2005
    I know most of you are probly gonna have a go at me for this but I think that some of the best basses are the cheapest as I use 2 Corts and an Encore(and im not ashamed). and i prefere the feel of these the tone and the basses ingeneral and iv had my hands on a couple of waricks, fenders musicmen, rickenbackers, ibanez's, Spectors and a Tobias and out of them all i dont feel any of them matched up to my GB 334A for tone or playability and I chose the Cort over all of them. Thats just my opinion Id liek to hears other peoples
  2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I think that whether we admit it or not, we do pay for the name sometimes. How many people would want a MIM Fender if that headstock said "Johnson" or "Gonzalez"? That said, some name brands clearly are consistently high quality like Musicman, G&L, Lakland, and some others. Other makers like Peavey, are seen as budget makers, so that even their high-end products like the Cirrus or USA Millenniums don't get the respect they deserve.

That said, it is great to get a really inexpensive bass that plays great. I just wish people would stop saying that so and so is "great for the money." A bass or amp is either good or it's not. There should be no need to qualify it.
  3. Budgetbasses

Jan 20, 2005
    yer that is really annoying. It also annoys me when people say that fender is better than any of the other P-Bass Copys as at school we have a rockwood P-bass and it plays better in my opinion than some ones fender but I suppose its each to ones own
  4. Budgetbasses=my mate Dan, i asked him to join. I agree with him to a certain extent, but when he says to me on MSn that 'my Cort is better than your warwick' I have to raise and eyebrow.
  5. Budgetbasses

Jan 20, 2005
    In my opinion its is i find it an easier play and i prefere the sound of it and the general appearence. i find the waricks body far to small
  6. YOUR bass is what YOU make of it, to someone else it could be garbage but if YOU are in love with it, who am i or anyone else to tell you different. likewise you shouldn't compair it to someone elses. a bass is more then an instrument to a lot of people. its like saying my wife is better then yours. its all about what YOU love. when i picked up my bass for the first time i was instantly in love and although it may not be a warwick or some $2000+ bass its still my baby and in MY mind no one has as nice as bass as that.

heh i cant type
  7. Budgetbasses

Jan 20, 2005
    Yer I see your point. Im planning to try to start doing more slapping and popping and stuff like that as iv just started on grade 5 and was wondering what song to you recommend I try to do to get some of my skill up?
  8. Mobay45

Mobay45 The artist formerly known as "Big Daddy"

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    Price and name are definitely not "everything" when it comes to basses but let's face it, the more you pay, the more you usually get. That doesn't mean that someone won't be satisfied with a less expensive bass but you usually do get more when you spend more. Be that better wood, better construction, better electronics, etc.

I also don't see any problem with qualifying a product. A bass that would be a good value for a casual player would not necessarily be a good value for a professional. Would you say a Kia is as good of a car as a Mercedes? While a Kia will service many people very well, when comparing it to a Mercedes you would probably say that it is a good car "for the money". That just means that it is a good value. Not the best, but money well spent for a particular product. I might be happy driving a Kia for the rest of my life while you, on the other hand, might not want to be caught dead in one.

When I pick up a Musicman bass, I expect it to sound and play much like all of the other Musicman basses of the same make and model. When I pick up a Lakland, I expect the same. I don't think that can be said of some of the less expensive basses. Because of the quality control that some of these companies provide, their product line is consistent throughout.
  9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

If you're happy with what you play, great. Don't let anybody beat up on you because you aren't playing big name basses.

When I was a kid, we were poor. I played a lot of junk basses that didn't even have a name on the headstock. My own personal bass for over two years was a classical guitar that I rescued from a trash bin, defretted, and strung up with the heaviest weedeater string I could find. I loved the bass, but couldn't afford a real one of my own.

So, years later, when the good Lord gave me a good paying IT job, I overcompensated by getting myself some nice basses.

Could I get by with my Electra Westone P/J bass, or my Peavey Foundation? Sure I could. They are great playing basses that sound pretty decent for the price.

But my Fender Jazz, my Peavey Cirrus, my Zon Sonus, and my Nordstrand all sound better than my inexpensive basses. And they are easier for me to play, too.

Bottom line, play what you like, and don't let anybody give you crap for it. But don't give other people a hard time if they like playing nice basses.:)
  11. Budgetbasses

Jan 20, 2005
    Sorry WarWick i cant spell properly. Fat fingers, hit the wrong keys alot. does anyone else use low priced basses and prefere them cos looking at everyones profiles you have lots of expensive one I feel im in th wrong place. and has any one got a danelectro DC?
  12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I think Joe Nerve has a Danelectro DC.

I have 8 inexpensive basses.
  13. Budgetbasses

Jan 20, 2005
    Cool Thanks Thats great help ill listen to some of their stuff reggaes cool so ill probly liek a lot of it aswell thanks again.
  14. Mobay45

Mobay45 The artist formerly known as "Big Daddy"

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    Smash, instead of quoting me out of context, please go back and read the whole paragraph. That comparison was only an example of someone wanting to qualify a product. I had already stated that one would probably get you there as good as the other.

As for the diminishing returns, that's why usually was underlined in that statement.
  15. All that brings us to the good ol' saying, "It's the bassist, not the basses".

A mediocre player won't sound any better on an Alembic or Fodera, he/she may sound even worse because of the higher quality electronics.

A great player, on the other hand, should be able to get some decent sounds out of the cheapest Samick or Rogue.

I love my Euro Spector to death, but I wouldn't mind getting my mits on a good ol' cheapo P-bass too.
  16. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I think that materials and playability matter most. If you are happy with a made in tiwan balsa wood bass with plastic hardware than you should be happy with it. If you have $10,000 for your perfect Alembic than you could be happy with it as well. I have both. A $125 Hondo Dan Electro Copy Longhorn and I have a Modulus Custom that ran about $3500. I still go back and play my Hondo quite often. It is like going home. I can only say you play what you like. :meh:
  17. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    What is it with bassists on this forum? I think I've seen a dozen threads in the past month all with the same theme "Are More expensive basses better?" And always the same old tired " an expensive bass won't make you a better player" responses. Are people on this forum insecure about their choice of bass? In my 22 years of playing I would say that 99% of the people that I've played in front of wouldn't know an Alembic from a Hondo or have any idea how much they cost. The only people who seem even remotely preoccupied with this issue are musicians who should know better than to judge someones ability on what sort of instrument they have. I bought a Peavey Grind bass last year to play some gigs in South America. Did the Peavey sound and play as good as my Alembic? Hell no! But it still was a great bass to play and NO ONE in the audiences that I played for knew what kind of bass it was or how much it cost and to be honest I wouldn't have given a rat's ass if they did. If you play an "inexpensive" bass and it rocks for you then great. If you play a "boutique" bass and you dig it then good for you as well. Let's all please try to show a little unity and stop with all the instrument name brand snobbery.
  18. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France

Good point.
    And yes, I am also a "victim" of the brand name appeal...

19. jvbjr

Jan 8, 2005
    It is the exact opposite of women, want a thin beuatiful one, you pay more and you get less, willing to take a fat ugly one, you don't even need a job. :bag:
  20. any bass will play well if its set up properly , i own a peavey fury and it only cost me 350 quid but its such a solid instrument and i love to bits even now when im playign at a considerably higher level when i bought it i never feel it holds back my talent and enthusiasm for playing bass.

if it sounds good and plays to you , play it and enjoy it.