1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is putting a swimming pool route on a neck-through instrument a bad idea?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by solderfumes, Jul 14, 2016.

1. solderfumes

solderfumes

Mar 16, 2016
    Suppose I was interested in a bass like the Hadean Vickers TR (Hadean Vickers TR RD - RondoMusic.com), but I really wanted the pickups to be in the same positions as a Stingray HH (I'm all about that sweet spot). I would at the very least have to enlarge the existing pickup cavities a lot, and it would probably be easier to just straight up swimming pool that sucker: route out one enormous cavity so I can put the pickups wherever I want and then cover the whole thing up with a pickguard. With a neck-through, I imagine that it might really compromise the structural integrity. Anyone out there have any expertise on this subject?

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Just guessing, but I think it would have less impact on the structural integrity of a neck through than a bolt on - starting with something much more stable to begin with.

3. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    IMHO, it would be a waste of time and effort. You'd have to move both pickups further towards the neck, and since that bass has 24 frets, the fretboard might prevent you from moving it as far as needed to be exactly like the Ray HH.
    And in the end, it still won't sound like a Ray...

If I were to buy that bass, I would install switches to split the coils of each pickup, that would give you tons of tonal options.
    It is common to do Seris/parallel/single coil for each pickup, like the Corvette $$. But I do Series/neck coil/bridge coil on all my MM style pickups

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  4. solderfumes

solderfumes

Mar 16, 2016
    Well, I've lost interest in that specific bass anyway because its string spacing looks like it would be uncomfortably narrow. I was just curious in general about the ramifications of that kind of woodwork on a through-neck bass. The more I think about it the more I think it probably comes down more to how deep that route would be than the surface area affected anyway.

If I were to have gone with the Hadean Vickers, I would definitely have replaced all the electronics and installed series|parallel|neck-side|bridge-side wiring on both pickups, because I'm a sucker for punishment :) But that's what made the cheapo appealing, because I would do that to any Stingray bass I got my hands on, so why not start with something cheap.

I've been very impressed with the SUB Ray5 basses that I've tried, though, so maybe I'll keep watching out for a second-hand one to cut up and use as a mod platform.

5. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    It shouldn't matter which type of construction, all else being equal (see below). Think about it - whatever compression or bending load is placed on the front of the body is the same, whether the wood is a continuation of the neck or not. Having the neck bolt on doesn't somehow make the body's job in the structure any less.

The woods involved can make a difference - in favor of the neck-through. Because necks are usually at least hard maple, and often laminates with other very strong woods. Bodies in bolt-on basses are commonly alder - which is still strong, but not as much.

6. solderfumes

solderfumes

Mar 16, 2016
    Fair enough. I was concerned because, to the best of my understanding, one should be careful when routing over the neck tenon on a *set-neck* instrument; this can lead to the neck joint failing. My main concern was that with a neck-through, if you routed enough material away close to the neck, a similar thing might happen.

7. solderfumes

solderfumes

Mar 16, 2016
    The more I think about it, I think this probably *could* happen if you routed deep enough that the neck was mostly being held to the body by the glue attaching the centre to the wings. But so long as you leave enough material -- and as you said, because it's good hard maple, that probably doesn't have to be too much -- it should be fine. I will leave it the experts to confirm or correct.