1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is radio dying off?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by stratovani, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Yesterday I had to take my mother-in-law somewhere, and she noticed that the antenna for my car radio was disconnected and just hanging there. She asked me what it was, and then she asked me if I would reconnect it. I told her I couldn't be bothered, since I never listen to the car radio, and if I want to listen to music I'll play a CD. That got me to thinking that years ago people would listen to the radio a lot more, not just for music but for news, commentary and analysis, talk shows, sports, etc, both at home and in their cars. I don't know anyone that plays their radio in the house or car anymore just for the sake of having a voice or music in the background. Now I know that TV and the Internet have pretty much replaced radio, but are we witnessing the slow death of a once ubiquitous medium?

2. I know tons of people that listen to the radio. It's far from dead, though it certainly seems to be on the decline.

3. About the only time I listen is in the car when the weather is looking funky. Used to listen to talk shows during my morning commute, but it seemed that they were on a commercial break when I normally listened. 40+ hours a week of Pandora for me.

4. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    BBC Radio Five Live is almost always on in my house and the only station I have on when driving. Never listen to music or commercial radio though.

5. That's the issue with radio, for me. These days it is nothing but commercials. Seems like talk shows take ten minute commercial breaks every five minutes.:bawl:

I like Pandora on my iPhone in the car.

6. Luckily Dallas has 91.7 KXT public radio. Listener supported so no commercials. Wide variety of rock during the day but as the evening wears on it gets more and more eclectic. After midnight you can hear anything from 1920's jazz to modern indie rock to Native American rap. Listen here: http://kxt.org/listen/

7. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    I listen to non-commercial radio (e.g., public, college) a lot, and sometimes also to commercial radio if I find something that's good, non-ranting, etc. A lot of the broadcast radio spectrum's program material just doesn't interest me.

8. bass12

bass12 And Grace, too

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    I've never been much of a radio listener. The only time I really listen is when I use my alarm clock/radio and when I'm in a waiting room. With the streamlining of commercial radio, ughh - it's just so nauseating. I can't take the music, can't take the personalities and can't take the ads.

9. We don't have cable in our house. The radio is an excellent way to listen to Phillies games while doing something else or driving somewhere. I find the radio commentators much more lively than those on the TV, when the games are on the free station. Same goes for football, when I choose to listen to it. I hope it doesn't die off.

10. I always listen to AM talk radio for my daily dose of mis-information. :rollno:

I do have Sirius/XM satellite radio and do find a multitude of music and news although somewhat repetitive. My band also gets played on XM Kids Place Live but I never listen to that crap. :smug:

11. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I gave up on listening to music format radio when our nationally recognized local independent alternative station jumped the shark.

I still listen to the radio in the car, but I listen to the local NPR affiliate. I get quality news, information, and entertainment without commercials.

If I want to hear Hotel California again, I can always change the channel, but until then I'm a happier radio listener and hopefully a more educated citizen.

12. Ha! That's one pill I refuse to swallow!

13. After getting bored with the CDs in my car and radio, gave AM talk radio a chance. Didn't last long. Doesn't take a rocket surgeon to figure out how both sides are lying up a storm.

14. Definitely

Definitely Banned

We always have FM in the background in the kitchen/dining/hanging out area of the house. My mom always listens to AM in the car on the way to work in the morning, and FM any other time we're in the car. It's definitely not dead in our family.

15. jkramer5

jkramer5

Jul 14, 2008
    Fairfield, CA
    It is for me and has been for a long time. My smart phone streams to my home and car audio systems. Podcasts and my music collection have way more variety and on demand convenience that terrestrial or sat radio. Good riddance.

16. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    There's another side on AM radio?

17. I don't know if it's dying, but I suspect it is. People have so many other entertainment options now. One of my friends posted a picture on FB titled "the ultimate car stereo" and it was a blank panel with a 1/8" input jack labeled "aux". That about says it all, doesn't it?

Personally, I gave up on radio years ago. I don't even have an FM tuner at home.

18. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    Public or indepedent community radio is all I will listen to, commercial radio sucks, I wish it would go away. When will they learn that people know where the channel changing button or on/off switch is, no one likes to listen to a barrage of assinine commercials. I've never heard someone say " hey! they have really great commercials on this station, its one of the reasons I like to listen.

19. I only listen to CBC Radio One, both ways on my commute. They have good coverage of the news and interesting people on. I get sick of radio music in about three minutes. I usually listen to something on grooveshark while I am at work.

lowsound

20. CBC radio two can sometimes be interesting, other than that, it's some of CJAM's local-music oriented shows or bust. Usually I just pass on the radio.