1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is Reaper adequate?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by driftingupward, Dec 6, 2017 at 2:01 PM.

Tags:
  1. Hi guys. I'm just getting ready to step into the world of recording and I've been looking at Reaper pretty hard. My question is is it good enough to do everything? Right now I'm in a metal band and I'll be using ezdrummer 2 for some demo stuff just for us while our drummer is over seas. Not sure what I'm going to get into in the future but I want to be able to do anything I want. Is Reaper going to hold me back at some point? there's a pretty good chance I'm not going to get too heavy on EDM or stuff like that so I'm not too worried about that.

2. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

Reaper is very full-featured.

I would be very surprised if you used more than a fraction of its features and options.

And you can find numerous instances where individuals have switched from ProTools to Reaper.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017 at 2:25 PM
    bararan and Rickter like this.
  3. Mcgiver69

Mcgiver69

Sep 28, 2005
    England
    Reaper is maybe the most feature full DAW around at a ridiculous price.

Another good candidate is Tracktion but it is not as feature rich as Reaper but it'll get you where you want to go with no problems.

Tracktion 6 is free and it is unlimited unlike some other brands (Studio One, Protools, Cubase, etc...)

Reaper is completely open in it's "demo" version and you only buy it when ready which gives you enough time to test and realise if Reaper is the DAW for you. A truly amazing DAW if you ask me.

AlekB and Rickter like this.
  4. JRA

JRA where did the time go? Supporting Member

ddnidd1 and Mcgiver69 are correct, IMO. although i use pro tools for most of the 'heavy lifting' (mixing and mastering), out of habit, it can be done equally well with reaper. i think reaper is a little less cumbersome than pro tools on certain 'set it and forget it' functions, and i think reaper uses less system resources to do similar jobs. and it's way more affordable.

reaper is good! :thumbsup:

Rickter likes this.
  5. erigod23

erigod23

Mar 19, 2007
    Fredericton, NB
    It is absolutely adequate. More than adequate. Super adequate. You've never had a more adequate DAW.

Rickter and jfh2112 like this.
  6. Ok thanks guys. I've already got it and I've been using it for a few weeks but I wanted to kind of check around before I get crazy on learning it thoroughly.

7. ddnidd1

jfh2112 likes this.
  8. yeah I've been checking out the YouTube stuff and I just downloaded the manual last night. 466 pages will keep me busy for a little while haha.

9. Mcgiver69

Mcgiver69

Sep 28, 2005
    England
    As usual I recommend this one for all things Reaper related, there's a wealth of information and step by step tutorials.

REAPER Mania

10. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    My duo partner and I produced a CD last year using Reaper. The actual recording was done on a Tascam DP24, and the tracks were imported into Reaper for some slight editing and mixing. The mixed tracks were sent out for professional mastering and reproduction. I could have mastered in Reaper, but we wanted a professional touch on the final tracks (it was worth it). Yes, Reaper is adequate.

11. Medicine Man

Medicine Man

Apr 10, 2015
    none
    I switched from Ableton to reaper. It is better for recording and mixing, but doesn't include any virtual instruments. If you don't need any, Reaper is great. I found the track routing a little harder to learn, but it's powerful.

12. Keep in mind that there are a wealth of free virtual instruments out there as well.

Medicine Man likes this.
  13. Medicine Man

Medicine Man

Apr 10, 2015
    none
    Yep, but not as good as Native Instruments, Omnisphere, Ableton or whatever, in my opinion. I find that the commercial offerings strongly outperform. But if the OP is using EZ drummer, half that battle is won. I feel like digital drums are the hardest to get right. Using EZ drums mixed with recorded guitars, bass and vox is oretty powerful. There are plenty of good key and synth sounds for free. Also, the NI demo package has some pretty good freebies to get you started.

Wyo Bass Junkie likes this.
  14. JES

JES Supporting Member

Reaper is great. When you get into recording, you may develop preferences that lead in other directions but it’s way too early to know.

Also: start with cheap or free VSTs, learn what you like or need, go from there. Lots of digital tools are super bloated (eg, synths have tons of effects that are duplicated in your DAW, etc).

Beware anything with too many options. Omnisphere or Komplete are great. They are also so huge you’re likely to get lost in a sea of options as a beginner.

Focus on a few tools and learn them.

15. DavC

DavC Supporting Member

May 17, 2005
    Trinity, FL
    i like it ... and have got it to work with various midi/audio setups ...

and i'm an old fart .. !!

16. bassburner

bassburner

Dec 8, 2008
    The only place Reaper is lacking is if you want plugins modeled after real hardware. You might spend a little more time messing with EQ, compression and saturation if you use the stock plugins but you'll be able to do whatever you need.

If you want to step into affordable but great 3rd party VSTs check out: Klanghelm, Sknote, and ToneBoosters for a start.

Also, make sure to get the SWS extensions for Reaper. Plenty of useful tools in there.

Rickter likes this.
  17. Rickter

Rickter Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    I asked a similar question of the community a little while back. Was inquiring whether it was worth it make the expendature to jump from Reaper to ProTools for the sake of working in an "Industry Standard". Almost universally the answer was no. Reaper is really good and full featured. Great community support. Frequent updates. If you're just doing basic recording you should be fine. Up to this point I haven't found anything that I wanted to do that Reaper didn't support.

18. ddnidd1

Also almost every High End (expensive) plugin manufacturer offers time-limited Free trials.

19. Rickengeezer

Rickengeezer

Feb 25, 2005
    Central Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Steve Clayton Accessories
    Reaper is way more adequate than I am.

20. My plan is to try to Master ezdrummer 2 as my first virtual instrument and try to learn Reaper a little bit comprehensively while I'm at it. I don't even know what an extension is right now so I'm sure that'll be something I learn.

We did our first EP in a studio and while it was cool it was also a little bit expensive for where we are now. I'd like to at least do the tracking(except for drums) and maybe the mixing ourselves and send it off for mastering. I'd like to get to the point where we could do everything except the actual CD duplication eventually.