Is Reverb a Good Site to Buy Used Basses From?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by MarMar, Sep 1, 2021.

1. MarMar

MarMar Inactive

Sep 9, 2020
    See title. It seems like TalkBassers are generally fans of Reverb. However, then I also have read about bad experiences with Reverb. What does everyone think of Reverb?

I'm sure you can have hit or miss experiences on any online buying platform. Some people are super anti-eBay. I've had both good and bad experiences with eBay.

:bassist:

2. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    I've bought 3 or 4 music related gear from Reverb that were all used. Everything went smooth.

I've bought a ton of used gear from eBay w/ no problems as well.

MarMar likes this.
  3. sleddogn

sleddogn

Sep 8, 2013
    Love My Dogs
    I think its the best place right now to view new/used. If shopping my question would be, why wouldn't you at least look there?

RiffwRiter likes this.
  4. ArtGuy9516

ArtGuy9516

Apr 10, 2012
    Richmond, VA
    Bought a 5 on Reverb and the process was smooth

5. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I bought a few parts from a guy on Reverb with no issues.

6. I got a loaded Squier Mustang body from Reverb not long ago at an unbelievable price. No issues at all.

MarMar likes this.
  7. s_wood

s_wood Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Delaware (USA)
    I use it to buy and sell. Reverb is exactly as good as the buyer and seller. By that I mean most of the sellers are not professional music retailers, which means that the accuracy of item descriptions will be limited by the knowledge of the seller. For instance, I’ve seen a Fender Jazz Bass described as an “all original ‘64,” but the photos show a neck with block inlays until ‘68. And most Gibson Rippers described as ‘74’s are clearly from no earlier than late ‘75 (as shown by the body shape). This is not a signs of dishonesty, but rather a consequence of ill-informed sellers

All of which is fine if you are knowledgeable about what you want to buy. Caveat emptor, my friend.

ajkula66, MarMar and RiffwRiter like this.
  8. Jazzkuma

Jazzkuma

Sep 12, 2008
    Yes. But I only purchase from sellers which have 100% positive feedback and have at least 5 sales in their account.

also, dont trust the condition label. “Mint” and “good” is totally subjective to people. Judge the condition of the bass on pictures more than on the condition label.

Also check if they accept returns or if the bass is “sold as is”. Everyone sets their own return policy (or lack of). So you could have 30 days for one shop but the other shop gives you 1 day.

MarMar likes this.
  9. BarfanyShart

BarfanyShart

Sep 19, 2019
    DC Metro
    There is a model of new bass which is quite difficult to find in shops, so my option is basically to buy it from a shop elsewhere on Reverb. I actually know a guy who bought the same bass from an out of state shop on Reverb and couldn't be happier, so I feel pretty comfortable doing the same if I decide to pull the trigger, provided the seller is a real shop with good Reverb reviews.

MarMar and s_wood like this.
  10. MrLenny1

MrLenny1 Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    Hey, how about buying a bass from Japan thru Reverb.
    Has anyone done it?

11. Buy off Reverb, yes. As alway, buyer be aware.

12. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Never any problems buying or selling music gear on eBay. I’ve bought quite a few jazz bass parts off Reverb and never had any problem.

13. I sell quicker on Reverb. Bought a few things there. Everything worked out good, if not great.

14. sleddogn

sleddogn

Sep 8, 2013
    Love My Dogs
    I've purchased 2 from Japan, 2 from England, 1 from Switzerland, 1 from Russia, 1 from France all off reverb in last 3 years. All good, usually better than domestic buys, especially from Japan, they don't mess around, very professional imo...

MrLenny1 and StevieMac like this.
  15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 23, 2022