Is RHCP "Adult Contemporary"?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Sep 23, 2021.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

I know alternative was invented with this rock ambiguity, but do you think RHCP falls into the category of adult contemporary now?

2. Dean N

Dean N

Jul 4, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Maybe the stuff they put out now is, and some of the older radio-friendly hits (Soul To Squeeze, Under The Bridge), but I can't picture Catholic School Girls Rule being in the same category as songs by Josh Groban or Faith Hill. To be accurate, it'd probably have to be a song by song assessment for RHCP.

3. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

I wouldn’t get too wrapped up in commercial broadcast programming category BS. It’s for the benefit of potential advertisers, and to target certain demographic groups who will spend money on certain items. At one time, RHCP were fresh, edgy, went against the mainstream norm, and appealed to a youth market who took a stance against mainstream lifestyles and culture. Or so they thought. These people are grandparents now potentially, certainly parents, and as the band themselves grew up, weathered personnel changes, developed musically, and smoothed down the edges, the ‘alternative’ became the new normal, making that vague label dated and irrelevant. “AC” is another convenient, but ultimately meaningless catch-all for anything pop(as in “popular”, and hit oriented)but not bubblegum stuff that would appeal primarily to 20’s and younger. “True Men Don’t Kill Coyotes” might have annoyed the average Boston, Eagles or Styx fan in 1984, but now the Peppers don’t play much of that sort of thing anymore, plus that sound is kind of quaint 37 years later. And radio now still wouldn’t touch that early stuff.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
    JRA, GregC, packhowitzer and 11 others like this.
  4. skwee

skwee

Apr 2, 2010
    Minneapolis
    Everything after Blood Sugar Sex Magic is. :cool:

tbz, Rojd, The_Meatwagon and 11 others like this.
  5. tubedude

tubedude Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2015
    Ga
    Oldies.

6. WG Plum

WG Plum

Apr 9, 2021
    Seattle
    Not One Hot Minute. That album is criminally underrated.

7. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Anything up to and including BSSM, no. Anything after, possibly.

SmokinJoe992 likes this.
  8. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    I can't Imagine any sense in which RHCP are contemporary.

9. Low8

Low8 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    I try not to think of the Red Hot Chili Peppers at all these days.

Robot.G, Holdsg, packhowitzer and 8 others like this.
  10. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    From a radio standpoint it basically depends on the song. Simple as that. Not all RHCP is adult contemporary, but some if it is.

11. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    Alternative is pretty spot on in itself.

MAJOR METAL likes this.
  12. Ihaveshingles

Ihaveshingles

Dec 24, 2018
    Why are we even discussing this...leave RHCP as they are , no need to label them past or present

ACRock, dkelley and Corigan like this.
  13. lucas303

lucas303

Mar 11, 2019
    Colorado
    I put them in the "overrated has-been" genre.

JRA, timmo97, sotua and 5 others like this.
  14. Corigan

Corigan Shaking Rumps with Thumps Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2021
    Georgia
    RHCP is their own sound, no need to label. They have changed so much through the years while still keeping a vibe.

I know many don't like the later stuff, but I like it all. Im with you and dark necessities has some excellent tracks on it. Im with you is a great album imho.

I've been listening since uplift mofo came out. The career and catalog of chili's has aged like fine wine imho.

I see Rick Rubin is working with them again on their new record. Will be interested to see what they all come up with.

MAJOR METAL, ACRock, dkelley and 6 others like this.
  15. 2F/2F

2F/2F

May 26, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    No. They are a mainstream rock band now. They have moved from whatever the hell awesome thing they were at first, to alternative rock, to mainstream rock. While it might be horrible, it is still rock music, not adult contemporary.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
    dkelley likes this.
  16. Lukasonbass

Lukasonbass

Dec 12, 2019
    New Hampshire
    I don’t think they have a genre. It’s RHCP, no one sounds like them and they don’t sound like anyone else.

They are also one of those groups that you either love or hate and if you love them you probably love a specific era (80s, 90s, 2000s, or modern).

They’ve been around for almost 40yrs which is amazing and just that I can’t fathom at all, let alone the insane growth they achieved, bands don’t go from homeless street punk addicts to being famous worldwide like that, especially in today’s society.

I don’t think you can over stay your welcome if you’re selling out massive venues worldwide. They do consistently evolve and I give them credit for trying to keep it fresh even if I haven’t really liked there latest efforts (although I absolutely love Stadium Arcadium, I know all of it note for note).

Adult contemporary is basically just an umbrella term for catchy love song, so yea they have a few of those. (As do most bands with radio play).

dkelley and Eli_Kyiv like this.
  17. red_rhino

red_rhino Artful Dodger Gold Supporting Member

How about "Classic Alt"?

MAJOR METAL, Lackey and Low8 like this.
  18. Ihaveshingles

Ihaveshingles

Dec 24, 2018
    Well, if you put them in there I guess you won’t be lonely

steamthief likes this.
  19. totnut

totnut

Sep 14, 2013
    London
    hit the nail on the head!

20. Cowboy in Latvia

Cowboy in Latvia

Mar 1, 2015
    This is actually pretty accurate. We're talking about a band that started almost 40 years ago. To put that in perspective, their first album is to today's listeners what early Bing Crosby was to the original audience for said album.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 28, 2021