Is Rocco's buzzing a problem?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by CJK84, May 6, 2004.

1. CJK84

Jan 22, 2004
    Maria Stein, OH
    Just received the Rocco Prestia video from Bass Day 98.

Have really enjoyed it (Rocco's right hand is great!), but I'm struck by the amount of fret buzz that he generates. During the latter part of the video he sits, with his bass, for an interview in which he plays lines from some of TOP's top songs (solo playing).

Honestly, there seemed to be a lot of fret buzz that interferes with the cool lines he plays.

Anyone else notice this and feel that it's detrimental?
  2. I saw that video last year, and I don't remember the buzzing, but if his strings were buzzing, I don't wee how it really matters. the important thing is that you don't notice it when he plays with the band, and his bass sounds great.
  3. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Yes, I noticed it, but it wasn't real bad.

I've seen him play live at ToP concerts as well as at bass / rhythm section symposiums. i've never heard any buzz when he plays live or on recordings.

It must have something to do with the recording and EQ of that particular video session. :meh:
  4. I know what you mean - I have the video and love it - but my first impression in the interview was the same as yours.

However, even listening to the cut of Jamerson's track for "Bernadette" on the "...Shadows of Motown" CD/DVD there is noticeable fret buzz - even with dead flats and almost no high mids or treble.

A lot has to do with how treble sounds (such as light fret buzz) dissipate in a band mix AND (for live performance) in a large room, IMHO.