Is "rock" a dirty word? (genre rant)

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Brendan, Jan 16, 2003.

1. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I just waded through 4 pages of Emo thread down in Misc (for no real reason). Pop punk, indie, indie-rock, indie-emo, emo, emo-core, alternative, pop-alternative, hardcore Nu-metal (well, most of it) post punk, post-emo, post hardcore, post-head up yer ass...what is the point? All of these bands generally fall under a nice big fat header of "rock." How hard it rocks is up to you and your friends. I know "pop" has been a dirty word for ages, but now I'm wondering about rock.

I mean, how hard is it to say "I'm in a rock band." Are people afraid that it means they're going to an Aerosmith concert and not some secular band that sounds frighteningly simmilar anyway? Music genre's are getting out of hand. A lot of people feel this way, but for the love of pete, what's wrong with rocking out? Popular punk? 3 chord riffs and a driving beat? Hmn, sounds like ROCK. Emotional, personal lyrics with distorted guitars, a nice throbbing tempo? ROCK.

Jeez, what's the problem? I think genre's were created with a noble cause, and that was to let you know what you were getting into. Now it's a violent battle of who's more indie, what's real emo, who's band is the better post-hardcore act, et al.

Genre's are the main reason I got out of the metal scene a few years ago. Not that I don't like the music, but I was sick and tired of who's not black metal enough, or why it's a crime that a death metal band played at a thrash show. I now listen to metal music in the privacy of my own home. When people ask me what music I listen to, I usually say "aggressive stuff" because I'm worried if I say "metal" I'll be stuck in a debate for hours over who "is" metal and who isnt.

I really like it when someone say "I don't care about genres" and then go and rip on a band, "they aren't indie. they are obviously emo." Metalheads and Emo kids are especially guilty. To me, it's one big feild, "Metal." Simmilarly, it's either "rock" or "easy listening." Don't lie to me, Dashboard Confessional is this generations Kenny G.

Hey, you, yeah, you listening to the post-hardcore-indie-emocore're listening to a ROCK BAND.

Sorry. Had to get my rant on. I'm better now. And inevitably, I look at this post in about 10 minutes and realize I left out about 2 million things that would have made it better, or at least made me seem like I knew what the heck I was talking about...
  2. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Brendan, you are my hero. That could not have been worded any better. One of the mods should make that post stick to the top. It's beautiful!
  3. LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    I'm in a rock band. :eek:
  4. Its the same with the Punk and Hardcore scene. Spend 3 minutes at any punk forum and you'll see what I mean.

I've noticed that the best bands are the ones that even music store geeks can't place in a genre.
    For example: "They play hard, hard music."
    "They play catchy, emotional stuff"

as opposed to.
    "Pop-punk-Emo-Alt-Metal"(sure to suck)(*)

Also, it really irks me when bands put stuff like (*) on their websites, it jus tlooks stupid.
  5. look in my profile-check out my band's description.
  6. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I'm in a rock band. Not metal, emo, punk, hardcore, mu--pop-post-indie-heavy-thrash-black-death-or anything else.

I'm in a rock band.

I agree with you 100%.
  7. Maybe it's because rock is too general of a word to describe a certain type of music. If someone asked you what music you played and you replied rock, I bet odds are they are gonna ask what kind, since rock really varies now.
  8. "Meekly stands up at the back of the room"

Uh.......Hello everyone. My name is Bob, and I am a Rock'o'holic
  9. jaybo

jaybo Guest

Sep 5, 2001
    Richmond, KY
    Interestingly enough "emo" has become such a dirty word in the world of punk and hardcore that most 'emo' bands are starting to call themselves rock or rock n roll in hopes that they'll be taken a bit more serious by a larger number of people, I presume.

10. I've put that down for my religion on several occasions.

11. everytime someone asks what kind of band i'm in, i say a rock band. or rock 'n' roll, if i'm feeling saucy.
  12. I agree with you one hundred percent man. But then when someone asks what kind of rock i play, i reply "GothSka!!".
  13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Rock has become a very false term. These fusions and new genres coming out the wazoo have tainted the very name of rock. And thanks to our friends at MTV rock stars are no longer the people who are in rock bands. It's rich people who are famous. Britney Spears, Ja Rule, even the occasional basketball player. :eek: Terrible. I believe the dead kennedy's said it best when they said, "MTV get off the air, NOW!"
  14. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Brendan, that was great. I'm in a rock band too then.
  15. I'm a rocker through and through! - Joe Dirt:D

And I too am in a rock band...and a jazz band!
  16. Life is a garden man............dig it
  17. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA

One of my all time favorite words, AND , the word of the day, you win, nothing. i'm sorry.

I agree, it's all "rock".
  18. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Yah, I hate it when people go, " so what kind of band are you" I'm like "umm some kind of rock thing" and usually get "what kind of rock"..I'm like" uhhh some hard stuff some soft some uh, whatever is fun at the time..yah.." It gets really annoying having to be in some class of ultra specific type of music. Not to get off topic, but I am annoyed how religion has become this way too..IE "I'm christian" reply: "what religion are you though"..I mean come on, does everythign have to have 5 million categories??:rolleyes:
  19. I am in a "rock" band. I am sick of it. I love the band and will be in it forever but I am so sick and tired of people asking me "what kind of music do you play?" I say "rock" and you'd think an alien just probed 'em. They just stare and say "like what kind or, who do you sound like?" So I have to be sarcastic and say very seriously we are a death matal band. It works most of the time and people come to the shows and say wow that wasn't death metal but I liked it and I got your disc and I am going to listen to it on the way home.

That stuff is great but no one know's what the h*ll rock is in this town because there is the wanna be jam band that is rock, the pop band that is rock, the rock band that is pure crap, and the band that everyone says is crap is the best rock band in town. Screw labels, just pay the cover and watch us, don't tell me if we suck, don't tell me if we are good. Only talk to me if you are going to loan me your hot blonde g/f for the night or if you want to drag my gear to the trailer and drive my drunk butt home.