1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is Rush done?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Felken, Apr 9, 2018.

Tags:

Is Rush done?

Poll closed May 28, 2018.
  1. No, touring plus a new album will happen (If you chose this option,you might be slightly delusional)

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  2. A new album with one-off shows might be possible

10 vote(s)
    23.8%
  3. Maybe one more album. Nothing more.

6 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. Yes. They're dead. No album, no tours, no live shows, nothing.

24 vote(s)
    57.1%
  5. Meat n'Potatoes.

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  1. Felken

Felken

Jun 28, 2016
    Ottawa, CAN
    Done done and done. Are they? I want to know what you think. I have no idea...

2. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    If you were in your late 60 years of age and already had millions of dollars....................wouldn't you like to retire?

Buck Owens once said that there are over 60 hours of work and effort involved for every stage performance.

Spidey2112 and Felken like this.
  3. Gorn

Gorn Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    It looks like Geddy Lee is in pain when he sings. Same for Ian Anderson. It sounds that way too. If they’re not done, they should be. Or just play instrumental stuff.

Datsgor and 58kites like this.
  4. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    I watched an interview with Geddy on tv recently and he said they were done. I think it was the Dan Rather Big Interview but don't remember exactly which show it was.

5. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I suspect at least Alex and Geddy will get bored and do something more together. Whether Neil joins in and whether they call it Rush, seems questionable. Let them have some time to relax, sheesh!

MonetBass, MattZilla, Felken and 2 others like this.
  6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    IIRC, on the last Rush DVD/BD (issued after their most recent Tour)-
    Peart said he could go on until age-75...if he could play their gigs ala Charlie Watts.
    ;)

A co-worker thinks they could pull of a month-long Vegas gig (other Classic Rock bands have/are doing this).
    Easier on the body, show up & play.
    Rush does have very physically demanding material, though.
    I wish them well.

Spidey2112 and MonetBass like this.
  7. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    Yep--that was "The Big Interview" with Dan Rather. Lee stated something to the effect that Rush, in the form that it has been known for 40+ years, is effectively done.

8. I have read in print that Alex and Geddy have a new musical project they are calling "LIFESON/LEE. Don't know if they are working on new material or have gone to the recording stage yet. I wish them well.

Basshappi and bholder like this.
  9. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    Mr PEart is donzo. Wasn't he kinda key in songwriting? I'd be fine if they just became regulars on Trailer Park Boys.

Qlanq likes this.
  10. He was mainly the lyricist while Alex and Lee wrote the music. Both have released solo work so I think they will do well.

11. dtripoli

dtripoli

Aug 15, 2010
    CA
    Is Rush Done? Hell no.

They haven't done the industry standard, 5 'Farewell' Tours yet, followed by 6 'Reunion' Tours.
    Let's not jump the gun yet.

ONYX likes this.
  12. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I think they're pretty much done. They've said as much. There might be a one-off reunion show now and then; I doubt a whole album, nor a tour (none of the poll choices really offer that option). My impression is that of the three, Geddy would be most motivated to continue with music projects, maybe collaborating with others. The others are facing health issues that make it painful to play, arthritis etc.

Diamond_Dave likes this.
  13. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    They were the perfect band that remained perfect friends and maintained the perfect relationship with their fans.

The only thing left to do is have the perfect retirement. Please oh please don't tour until you SUCK like just about every other famous band has or is doing. I'm begging you, Rush. Let me remember ONE BAND when they were good rather than going out with a whimper.

As we speak I'm watching a commercial on AXSTV for The Who doing Tommy Sunday night. They look like ridiculous old people. They are huffing and puffing for air. The little snippets of vocals on the commercial sound horrible.

Rush, please don't do that. PLEASE!!!

14. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    You mean like this?

JimK likes this.
  15. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    Maybe!:woot:

16. RUSH = Alive & Kickin', just like the other Canadian band, Kick Axe

Yes, they're still touring, but I don't think RUSH will make any more albums or tours.

17. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Are they done? What a wonderful surprise it would be if they weren't, but sad as it is to even think it, in my mind they are...

... saw the R40 show in Columbus... now there's a retirement party.

Alex, Neil, Geddy... thanks for the memories, and giving me a headache every time I make an honest attempt at playing 'YYZ'...

18. I'd be surprised if they didn't do a show every now and again, on their terms. But I think they're pretty clear that their album and tour days are done.

I mean, this happened, so...

19. jackn1202

jackn1202

Feb 14, 2018
    Austin, TX
    I saw this tour in Austin when I was 10, my first time at a big time rock concert. Unbelievably good.

20. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    In their defense, The Who have been on their "Farewell Tour" that began in 1982---I saw them September 30th that year at the Pontiac Silverdome, they rocked---I'm sure when the tour is over, Roger and Pete will bow out gracefully.