Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is Rush Rushed?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by hateater, Mar 12, 2003.

1. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    There are many Rush (and Geddy Lee) fans here. I would like to ask of you to answer me this question- why would anyone think that their music sounds forced? My good friend (guitarist might i add) is heavily into Santana, and acts like that. HE says he can't stand to listen to Rush because they just sound so forced and unnatural. I am not sure who writes the music, but I have never found any of the music, especially the bass to be forced. Someone let me know where he is coming from!

2. Rush is very techinical and precise playing, which can be percieved by some people as "forced" or unnatural. Santana has a much more "lilting" sound that sounds more organic. Ultimately, though, it boils down to just conflicting musical tastes.

3. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    Yeah, I agree there.... Personally I can't listen to Santana for too long. He starts to sound the same after a while.

4. I think it's because Rush writes so much stuff in odd time signatures and then doesn't try to make them breathe. Unlike a band like Phish or King Crimson*, or the compositions of jazzers like Dave Holland or Brad Mehldau, when Rush plays in an odd meter it never feels all that natural.

*In Crimson's case, they sound so unnatural playing in 4/4 that 7 on top of 11 suddenly doesn't seem unreasonable. :D

5. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR

:) I gotta remember that one! :)

6. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga
    ok, Rush is made up of skinny, white, Canadians. How much farther from groove and soul can you get??:D :D

7. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga
    well.....I guess they're not skinny now. :rolleyes: :)

8. Yeah, Alex has gotta stop with the whole leather pants thing.

9. I dont think they came up with the name Rush because their goal was to layback and groove.

10. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga
    There's a story to it....

11. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    I know where he's coming from. Compared to a laid back groove based band Rush does sound more frenetic if not quite forced. They are just different types of music. Compare Santana's Supernatural to Floyd's Dark Side and Santana will sound "forced".

12. :D :D

13. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    That's pretty much it-- just two very different bands and styles. I also agree with whoever says Santana sounds the same after a bit. Rush is one of those few bands who've never done the same thing twice.

14. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    They're not rushed, they're just kind of uptight.

Even when they loosen up, eg. on instrumental tracks like "Where's My Thing," they're still keeping perfect time with the sequenced synths.

15. The new stuff sounds rushed and forced. I know that they are trying to write more emotional songs and less technical stuff but I don't like it. I'm glad I didn't buy Vapor Trails but that hurts 'cause I have every other Rush album.

16. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Have you listened to the new album? I like it immensely better than the previous two.

17. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga
    yo....Vapor Trails is the shiznit biotch

ya dig.....;)

18. Hey!! I resemble that remark!;) :D

(Well 2/3rds of it...)

19. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Not a big Rush fan anymore, but you know what seems forced to me? having your label line up duets with hot young artists so you can get some radio play for the first time in 15 years. I mean, Carlos is a fabulous guitar player, but he'll play with anyone.

Now, his performance of "Soul Sacrifice" in the Woodstock movie is amazing. For any of you who may only know of Santana from his grounbreaking work with Rob Thomas and Michelle Branch, you need to check that out. You can almost see the conga player levitate. Oh, and the bass player is amazing there. W#ho was that guy? God, he was freaky good.

20. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    I know what you mean. I really think that he should do a cd sans duets.