Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is Samson really that bad?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gnome01, Aug 14, 2002.

1. gnome01

gnome01

Oct 30, 2001
    Bronx NY, USA
    Just traded a bunk SWR SM400s for an Alembic F2B and Samson 700w power amp - I only read the negative TB stuff on them after (usually the case with me). Must admit I was surprised by the price, but it seemed more refined and well made than the Crest CA4 I tried. So far I'm quite satisfied with it, although I am new to this kind of setup.

2. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    It's probably the same circuit as the power section of the Hartke 700W amp. If you like it then that's cool.

3. gnome01

gnome01

Oct 30, 2001
    Bronx NY, USA
    Ah, that works - it's the Hartke preamps that I can't stand!

4. gnome01

gnome01

Oct 30, 2001
    Bronx NY, USA
    Just gave the new setup another whirl. Sounds just as good as the SWR SM400s I traded in, although the 700 watt rating for the Samson might be a bit optimistic. Puts out at least as much juice though. Maybe the Alembic F2-B preamp makes any power amp sound good.

5. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I don't know if its the same as the Samson (although they are the same company, Samsontech) but I have a Hartke 7000 I've had for 9 years. I've never had a problem and never been at a loss for wattage (even in loud, outdoor situations). Always plenty of beef (especially with these new Tech cabs I started using.:D sorry Hartke. ).